Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Liberty!

Our cute little rental car is pictured above. Like most typical suburban stay at home mom's I drive a Toyota Sienna Mini-van. I'm used to sitting high in the saddle with a picturesque view of the road before me. I enjoy driving my husbands Corolla for it's zippiness (we've actually named it 'The Zippy Car') but I detest getting behind larger vehicles that make it difficult to see the traffic conditions ahead.

I chose 'Dollar' rental car company for their low rates while planning our trip. I was quite pleased with how smoothly everything went. The only glitch was with the guy at the desk who rented me the car. He was exceedingly friendly until I told him I wasn't interested in the extra $9 a day rental insurance. He argued that my $500 deductable wouldn't be satisfactory coverage should I get into an accident with his car. I waivered only slightly and stated matter of factly that "No, my husband said it wouldn't be necessary." (In hindsight, I NEVER should have referred to my husband because it made me come off looking like a world class ditz, who couldn't make a decision on her own.) Mr. rental car guy gave me several distasteful sneers before asking for my signature and handing me the keys... I'm guessing these guys get some sort of bonus for getting people to agree to the extra insurance coverage... Where else would all that extra money go? He sent me on my way, offering only minimal directions as to where I needed to go to pick up my car... So my son and I stumbled around the rental car site, luggage in tow and finally found the pick-up location.

With rental cars you can never be sure what you're going to get when you check off the box 'Mid-Size Vehicle' I was expecting a 'Dodge Stratus' and when we walked into the garage there they were... 6 Dodge Stratus's (Stratai?... Strat's?) all in a row. The friendly garage attendant asked, "What are you picking up?" I told him a mid-size and that's when the most amazing thing happened... He said, "Anything in this row, just pick one!"... Did I hear him correctly? I got to choose which rental car I liked best? That's never happened before... Normally you're given a lot space and there's your car... For better or for worse. So I'm standing there under the harsh glare of the garage mercury lamps and trying to decide... Hmmm, the silver Stratus... The gold Stratus... The white Stratus... BUT WAIT!!!! What's that, in the very row I was told I could choose from... A little Candy Apple Red number... It was a Jeep and her name was Liberty! I said to my son, "Ooooo, Oooo, Let's get this one!"... He began to protest, assuming it was another of those SUV gas hogs but once I popped the tailgate and the window lifted and the door opened automatically as if beckoning us to place our luggage within, we were sold... My son and I turned to one another with enormous smiles and stars in our eyes... For Liberty was ours for the taking!

I am SO totally going with Dollar rental car agency from now on... Because how cool is it to pick your own rental car... Especially when it's Candy-Apple Red, it's named Liberty and it makes you feel like a hottie driving it!
Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Blogger (M)ary said...

How fun! (-:

I had a Candy-Apple Red toyota tercel back in the 90's...I love that color.

Now I have a Champagne colored Saturn. The color is blah tannish gold...it does not live up to the name "champagne".

9:12 AM, July 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home