Monday, August 21, 2006

The Flies or The Boats...

(Above photo taken in Florida added purely for editorial purposes.)

Last week our family had dinner together at a small family owned restaurant along the Chespeake Bay. The restaurant had a beautiful setting on the water with its own little marina. The hostess seated us right along the window so we could take in the view.

Everyone was quite content until my son noticed several flies in various states of decomposition in the window well next to him. For the next 15 min. we had to listen to him air his complete distaste with our seats and the restaurant in general. That's when my husband told him, "Son... You can choose to focus on the flies or the boats... In fact, that's kind of an analogy for life in general... It's up to you." So we spent some time discussing how the flies are always going to be there in life... They're just the not so pleasant part of existence... They won't hurt you, they're dead... So why not choose to focus on the beauty beyond instead?

This was all going over quite well until a rogue fly flew over to our table... I tried to shoo it away and it landed directly in my daughters soda where it promptly died!... So much for our sweet little analogy... We were All pretty disgusted after that!
 Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

well, fly in thge soda notwithstanding i have to agree with your hubby. the soda is at least easily remedied.

11:27 AM, August 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know how much I love "fly" stories. What was Sarah drinking?
I'm afraid I'd have had to scratch that restaurant off my list unless I said something to the staff. The scenery is beautiful though.

12:15 PM, August 21, 2006  
Blogger EmBee said...

Lime, hubby is a wise man.

Linda, She was drinking a coke... So I guess if you're a fly it's better to drown in a glass of coke than become the victim of a viscous swat!

2:10 PM, August 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home