Thursday, November 26, 2009

26 Years


26 years ago today I experienced one of the sweetest moments of my life.

Marrying the man I love? Well yes, THAT was a very sweet moment, unfortunately it took place during one of the most awkward weddings of all time... Seriously, imagine 'Hadfield's & McCoy's' or 'The Sharks & The Jets' or even 'Israel & Palestine' all coming together to sit down at the same table and 'try' to pretend to at least 'get along.'

My god, I have NO idea why we didn't just elope. My father & step-father always hated eachother since that day when my dad nearly tossed my step-father out the 4th story courthouse window when I was 10 yrs. old. My mother hated my father and evidenced this fact by loading up on so many 'happy pills' she barely functioned for formal photographs. Then, of course Everyone from the family I was marrying into hated my step-monster after all the turmoil she caused... But you know, we all had to be nice to keep the peace.


So yeah, the wedding? It pretty much sucked!

But the sweetest moment, the one I will forever cherish in my heart, was that moment just before I walked down the aisle on my father's arm and he turned to me, with tears in his eyes and said, "I just want you to know, I think you're marrying a good man and I'm very proud of you." It didn't really matter what the rest of the day had in store... The fact that my father shared this sentiment with me, following what was the most tumultuous period of my life, having fallen in love with a man who my step-monster did everything in her power to break apart, well THAT meant EVERYTHING!


And that part about me marrying a 'Good Man'... Well, my father couldn't have been more correct.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger kiddiesandkitties said...

Congrats Embee!!

11:35 PM, November 28, 2009  
Blogger Chris said...

Awwwwwww! Happy Anniversary!

4th story window? Really?

8:11 AM, November 29, 2009  
Blogger Whiskeymarie said...

Belated congrats, my dear. These days, 26 years is nothing to sneeze at.

9:02 PM, November 29, 2009  
Blogger EmBee said...

Thanks, K&K!!

And Chris... 4th story window... REALLY! I was born and raised in So. Cal. does that help explain things?

Howdy WM and Thank you, no sneezing here!
:-)

10:56 PM, November 29, 2009  
Blogger lime said...

i'm sorry for being late to the celebration. and may i say, having read the setting of the event and then the words your father gave you...well, i cried. that was a gift beyond measure as is the love you and your husband share. happy belated anniversary and thank you for being such a fine example of how two people with a less than wonderful start and little support can build a good life and family together.

10:24 AM, December 01, 2009  
Blogger EmBee said...

Oh Lime, Thank you so much. I consider that such high praise coming from one such as yourself.
:-)

10:54 AM, December 01, 2009  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

Wow...Congratulations! and Happy Belated Anniversary! I hope you guys had a great time!
Stacie

6:47 PM, December 01, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home