Friday, May 19, 2006

Spanglish

The neighborhood where I live is one under a continual state of construction... They're currently working on the last 2 phases. You might not believe this but I'll be sad when they're finished. When I walk I derive such pleasure at seeing the day to day progress on each home. When the empty lot gets cleared for a basement... Then the huge metal basement molds go in... Then the molds are stripped away to reveal cement walls... Then the frame begins to take shape (I love looking in and seeing the grand staircases and imagining what each room will be and how it will be decorated.)... Eventually windows get put in... Siding and facade are added... Driveways, Walkways and Yards are laid out... It's a marvelous transition to behold.

The other reason I'll be sad to see the construction end is due to a little old latino man who greets me with a warm smile and a cheerful "Good Morning!" I met him roughly a year ago while he was working on another phase of the construction. Once we stopped and chatted for a brief time while he petted my dog 'Anna' and told me his ex-wife's name was 'Anna' so it wasn't his favorite name and we laughed. I hadn't seen him since that phase of construction was completed. So imagine my surprise when yesterday, as I was walking with my neighbor I ran into him again after roughly 5 months. There he was again with his bright grin and "Good Morning!" I told him I was glad to see he was working on 'This' project! He speaks very broken english and even though I was raised in Southern California I know much less spanish, so I'm not sure if he understood what I meant.

This morning as I headed out the door for my walk it began to sprinkle and by the time I made it half way through my walk there was a steady rain coming down. I ran into my latino friend twice during the walk. Once early on before the heavy rain hit... And a second time when he drove up and said, "Why you walk it's raining?"... "Do you umbrella!" I think he was offering me an umbrella and I said, "Oh No! It very refreshing!" He looked at me confused and I said, "It's Good!" so he smiled and waved goodbye and drove off to another of the houses under construction. So my question is this... Can anyone out there tell me what the word for "REFRESHING" is in spanish? I know that 'Much' is Mui or Moo-eee... But I'm stumped on Refreshing.

I guess it would also be a nice thing to finally introduce myself and find out what his name is. I figure if I know what his ex-wifes name is I should at least know his.

1 Comments:

Blogger (M)ary said...

I looked in my Spanish/English dictionary and the word for "refreshing" is:
"confortante"

" Su blog es muy confortante"

5:30 PM, May 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home