Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Yes, I'm REALLY that paranoid...

I've been working on a group project for my kids school. We've been searching for ways to better advertise... Thus the online search for 'Bumper Sticker' printers... and the following true story:

So I'm online searching different printers and I hit on a site that's... Oh, let's call it so-so... As my right hand begins to move toward the mouse in an attempt to back out of the site my speakers suddenly come alive with a resonating 'DING'... And a new screen appears on my monitor announcing that "Katie, and online representative is here to help me with any questions I may have."... "What's this?" I think to myself... I've got a virtual saleslady peeking over my shoulder inquiring as to whether I'm going to buy anything? I'm never very comfortable with that scenario when I'm in a real store and now I feel the same uncomfortable feeling at home on my own computer.

I'm such a people pleaser... So worried about offending perfect strangers... Or worse, having them think I'm lacking good manners. I tend to be ultra polite and feign interest even when I'd rather move on... And that's the reason why my right hand backed away from the mouse and joined the left hand at the keyboard to reply to 'Katie, my online rep'... I politely told Katie, "I'm just looking around, thanks!" and she replied with, "Let me know if I can help you with anything!"

NOW I was stuck! I felt it would be rude to leave the site so quickly after 'Katie' offered me her assitance in such a kind manner... So I did what any other paranoid, people pleaser, bucket-head would do and I pretended to be interested in the other items available on the site... Yes, you read that correctly... I pretended to be interested... I waited for what I thought was a reasonable amount of time... Oh, about 4 minutes and then I let my right hand wander over to the mouse again and quickly exited the site... Before 'Katie' could ask me where I was going... Whew!

At the meeting later I reiterated my experience to the other committee members who had been doing similar research. They laughed... Which is usually my goal in sharing such tales but one of the members told me that she had hit on the same site and yes, 'Katie' had also offered her help. She said that she left the site immediately without regret because 'Katie' is an automated computer programmed to answer FAQ's... My friend informed me that I could go to that site any time of day be it 3 o'clock in the morning or 3 o'clock in the afternoon and Yes, 'Katie' would be there to make me feel welcome... Well NOW I REALLY feel Stupid!

1 Comments:

Blogger (M)ary said...

(-: ha. that is funny and i totally understand.
my problem is i buy stuff i don't need because i don't want to hurt people's feelings!
i have gotten better and the random computer pop up or the anonymous person at the store can't guilt me into sticking around. but if i make a connection then i am hooked. it happens at the spa...i will go in for the pedicure and upgrade to the most expensive one because the pedicurist suggests it!!
hey, the first part of solving a problem is recognizing it...
you don't have to be a people pleaser forever!

12:28 PM, July 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home