Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Geography

I haven't travelled much. Oh sure, I've seen a lot of the United States... Been to Hawaii a couple of times even. Travel abroad? Well, I've been to Victoria, Canada and Tijuana, Mexico... I've cruised as far south as the Bahamas but there's so little I know of the rest of the world.

I'm torn at the idea of travelling abroad. I'm so bad at math that the idea of foreign exchange rates gives me the shakes. There's also the thought of travelling to a country where English isn't the first language. The very notion of being unable to communicate a basic need horrifies me.

I do seem to have a feeling of wanderlust... I often wonder if I were to travel to say Italy or Australia, would I find a sense of commonality in my surroundings? Or would it be quite the opposite... Would I be in awe of how different everything is from what I'm familiar with?

We currently are hosts to a houseguest from South Africa. A lovely woman who runs a Montessori School and is visiting The New School which my kids attend in hopes of incorporating some of our schools democratic ideals. My guest and I sat over breakfast this morning discussing politics and points of view. I don't think she knows how monumental it was for me to gain a perspective on what goes on elsewhere in the world and the perception others have of our nation, our government and our people. Our guest is here until Saturday and I still have so much I want to learn. I'm already left with the notion that should I ever go to South Africa I think I might see a great deal of commonality, not only in the landscape but in the people.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Lucky you. A visitor from far away. That is great, especially for the kids.

I have been inhaling travel videos lately. I love the Michael Palin series. For some reason the world beyond my own country has entranced me. Not sure when or where I would visit, but I love learning about other places.

7:14 PM, November 08, 2006  
Blogger EmBee said...

M... Are you brave enough to give it a go and see the world beyond our shores? I have the desire, I'm just not sure I have the gutts!

You know, one of the things I most loved about the 'Amazing Race' was not really the game but the beauty of the places the game took them... And the people they encountered also.

10:35 PM, November 08, 2006  
Blogger lime said...

oh how wonderful. and you are wise to seize this opportunity to learn. i hoep the visit continues to open your eyes and heart.:)

10:43 PM, November 08, 2006  
Blogger Carrie said...

Go for it! Go see the rest of the world. All of the places I have been to in Europe (Spain, England, Morocco...) are amazing and I would love to go back as the time I spent there was not enough to see it all. It is amazing to see how others live and work. Some things you will wish they would have here (for example...the siesta in Spain) as some parts of home you would wish they would have there (private baths in homes in Morocco...oh how I remember the smell). DOn't worry about the language barrier...if you can understand what an infant who doesn't speak is telling you, then you can communicate with another adult who doesn't understand you. :)

4:44 PM, November 09, 2006  
Blogger EmBee said...

It does sound exciting... but what about that money exchange thing? And along with that, what about the money to travel period! :)

5:18 PM, November 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try the Philippines, Margie! The people here are as friendly and helpful as can be so you'll feel right at home. c",)

2:19 AM, November 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home