Monday, February 25, 2008

A Diversion

It's that time of year again...

The time of year when I look at areas of my home and I get notions of redecorating. Rather than actually taking the time to clean, I think to myself, "Hmmmm, how can I completely change this area?" Because cleaning is just SO BORING! Why not add a heap load more work into the mix? And of course later regret ever starting the project.

This weekend I informed my husband that I'd been thinking about the space in our basement, namely what I like to refer to as 'My Studio'. Truth is, it's less a studio and more a place for all my crafting stuff but it sounds so much more idyllic to call it a Studio. Sort of an affirmation of whatever artistic ability I might possess. Anyway, my ideal 'Studio' would combine miles of open table top with loads of built in shelves and cabinetry. Bright light would flood the space and it would always be neat and organized so I could locate whatever I needed with little effort. And in this perfect world of unicorns and rainbows I would forever be happy and content.

In what I believe was an effort only to appease me (definitely not a plan to actually buy things), my husband and I went to the local home improvement superstore and scouted out counter tops, cabinets and lighting. Ultimately I ended up alone in the paint department, selecting colors for our master bedroom and bath, both of which have yet to receive any color other than the contractors white they had when we moved in. My thinking is this (since I knew there would be no purchasing of counters, cabinetry and lighting)... Why not decorate the upstairs whilst it's still cold outside ie. warmest part of the house in the winter... Then when the heat of summer hits, I can while away the hours in the coolest part of the house, the basement, which is always freezing in the winter.

So over lunch today my husband and I begin discussing changes we'd like to make to the master bath. I'm thinking, a coat of paint, some sort of window treatment and new lighting. Whilst my husband draws up a layout of the bathroom and begins moving around doorways, walls and adding a new larger size tub. Ordinarily I would get excited at the notion of completely 'refurbing' a room. But I know my husband pretty well after nearly 25 yrs. of marriage. He throws out ideas with absolutely no intention of ever following through because, eh... In the end it's just too much work, not to mention expense. It didn't stop me from looking at bathtubs online... Namely, this beauty for over $11,000 from Kohler...


Even if we were independently wealthy, the truth is, if we had something like this I can bet we wouldn't share it. We'd never be able to look that relaxed knowing we'd spent over $11 Grand on a bathtub AND we'd NEVER get anything done... Needless to say that awesome basement space I've got in mind.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Whiskeymarie said...

I know a woman that just installed a 90" copper soaking tup in her master bath. She isn't rich, and she claims it wasn't that expensive.
That Kohler tub makes me sad, because I'll never have one. But it sure is pretty.

1:40 PM, March 13, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home