Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Surf and Learn...

When I received my lovely little laptop I thought I'd spend the majority of my time on it 'blogging'... Uh, not so much... I'm in a slump folks, as it pertains to writing witty little ditty's that'll leave you clutching your sides in uproarious laughter... Wait, was I ever capable of such a response?... Don't answer that.

Regardless of my lack of posting, I have indeed been spending a great deal of time acquainting myself with lovely little 'Godiva'... Namely, I've been surfing the web in search of awe inspiring photography sites. Places like this: Jules Bianchi Photography or this: Jessica Claire Photography
and this: J. Garner Photography.


Yeah, okay, I'm living in a dream world... I'm not even fit to carry around the camera bag of people this talented. It is however nice to dream AND imagine I have an extra 12K sitting around to invest in an awesome camera and a couple of bad ass lenses. I am however, going to continue playing around with light, color and form... Try and get myself some flare shots, along with some cool depth of field tricks.


One thing I am learning from all this surfing is the portrait sittings of the past are so... Well, um, Yesterday! The new look in photography seems to be all about illustration. The best wedding shots aren't posed affairs with everyone in stair step order, like geese at a shooting gallery... No, they're about movement and projecting the joy of the event. I love this... I also love, Love, LOVE, the idea of shooting the little details... The small things that so much thought and preparation go into when it comes to planning the event... These are the things you forget about later if they aren't
photographed. A bridesmaid tending to a ribbon on the back of the brides gown. The curve of her ankle as the bride slips into her satin shoes. When it comes to photographing children, it just seems odd to make them sit in a chair in front of a painted backdrop when their real joy and exuberance for life shines through when their engaged in doing something they love, like playing outside or dressing up. This is what I want to capture... And I'm tired of sitting here just dreaming about it. So, I'm gonna try and post more pics and if anyone has thoughts on them, complimentary or constructive, well... Damn I'd sure appreciate it. Maybe someday someone will search out a site I create for inspiration? And maybe the reality will be I can just make myself happy trying to get better at something I really enjoy... Yeah, that would be Great!

Below are a couple of pics I took last Friday on our walk from the Washington DC Convention Center to Metro Center. Getting ready to cross the street ahead of us was the most elegantly dressed couple... Look like they stepped off the pages of 'Mid-Life Vogue'... My Goodness but they're handsome aren't they? I'll bet their kids are named Biff and Buffy with grandchildren Beatrice and Henry... They're probably already planning ahead to the whole family vacationing on the Martha's Vineyard in late June. Then again she might be the aide to this little known congressman and his wife might be plenty pissed if she ever runs across this pic... Sorry, I'm such a cynic.


I was able to zoom in for this shot just before the traffic light changed.




Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

oh i do love the close-up of the hand holding. that is just beautiful!

10:22 PM, March 19, 2008  
Blogger Whiskeymarie said...

So sweet. And yes- they do indeed look exactly like a "Biff" and a "Buffy".

10:01 AM, March 20, 2008  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

Oh I LOVE the second photo! AWSOME! and Wow...I know you live kinda close, but I didn't know you lived THAT close! We should plan to meet sometime for lunch in DC or something! We could go on photo safari or something.

Do you have a flickr site? I have found sooooo many groups on flickr that have really helped with my photography and the way I see things. There are many challeng type flickr groups too that are pretty cool. Flickr is free but limited if you get the free service, if you pay for pro and load up a lot of photos, very worth it. I'm on my second year of pro and LOVE it! (Plus I'd love to add you to my friends list) I'll definitely have to come back and check out those sites you linked as well...

Stacie

9:16 PM, March 23, 2008  
Blogger EmBee said...

Thanks Lime!

So it isn't just me WM?

Stacie, we live a couple of hours from DC but my MIL lives in Falls Church so we're down there pretty often. And YES, when the weather gets a bit more mild, my daughter and I talked about a photo safari. It would be great fun to meet up somewhere, get some awesome shots, and maybe do lunch. I hope to get down there while the cherry blossoms are still clinging to the trees... And thanks for the Flickr thought... I plan to look into it :-)

9:00 AM, March 26, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home