Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Plunging My Doctors Toilet... (no, that's not a metaphor!)

I have a knack for getting myself into some of the oddest situations... Today was one of them.

I went in for my regular check-up with my diabetes/thyroid doctor (endochrinologist... and yes, I'm too lazy to look up the spelling)... And yeah, my A1-C is perfect but my thyroid is a tricky bitch that doesn't want to settle down and do whatever it's supposed to do... What exactly it does, I'm not sure other than keep my hair firmly implanted and the fact that's not happening is indeed a tell-tale sign the damn thyroid is on the fritz.... Anyways...

So I arrive at my doctors office with an overwhelming need to use the facilities... However, when I open the door to the restroom it's evident the toilet is clogged and in desperate need of a good plunge. So I hustle over to the front desk and say, "Excuse me, do you have a plunger or another restroom I can use? The toilet is blocked-up in the main restroom." The receptionist looks at me, hems and haws about yes, they have a plunger and notices my eyes trained directly on the restroom beyond her desk and says, "There's a plunger in there... Oh, go ahead and use that one." Turns out this particular office is so small that when I enter the restroom, I run directly into the physicians assistant who is busy sorting files... Files located directly IN the bathroom....Eeeeewwww!

Whilst (at last) taking care of the urgent business at hand. I'm given the chance to reflect on the current situation. Somewhere in the doctors office is a toilet which is still hopelessly clogged and I'm sitting right next to (of all things) a plunger! This is when I ask myself, WSMD (what should Margie do?) Why, plunge the other toilet, of course! So I finish up and head down the hall, plunger in hand and run directly into my doctor. He seem rather surprised to see me in the back hallway of his office AND carrying a plunger. He asks, "Is everything okay?" I tell him everything is fine but his toilet is backed up and I'm going to plunge it. He walks with me towards the main restroom, looks inside and asks, "Are you alright?" I was distinctly given the impression he thought I'd made the mess in the main bathroom, so I quickly explained I found it like that and it was my intention to fix it. It's difficult to express the look that one person gives another when they realize you're going to plunge their toilet, a toilet YOU didn't clog. My guess is my doctor thinks I'm some sort of freak for clearing his pipes... I guess I am... A control freak, that is.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

i'm still kinda fixated on the bathrooom being used as a filing cabinet...ugh...

i hope he gave yo a discount on the office visit for your services.

6:48 AM, March 12, 2008  
Blogger Whiskeymarie said...

Yeah, that's worth at least a 10% discount, in my book.

And the bathroom filing is kind of disturbing...

1:44 PM, March 13, 2008  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

OH MY GOODNESS....I laughed a good solid 5 on this one! That's a riot! I agree...should give you a discount! And I hope the thyroid is back in working order!
Stacie

3:26 PM, March 18, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home