Monday, April 20, 2009

The Hill.... duh-Duh-DUH!

Before I begin I just wanted to say, we're home and extremely jet-lagged. Yesterday, I was merely tired... Today, I'm exhausted! And may I just say that nothing adds insult to injury more than leaving beautiful sunny California and coming home to windy, rainy, cold, weather misery.

When I was young we lived on a hill, not a hill really, more like a mountain but we always referred to it as 'The Hill'... Which heretofore will be accented by the ominous follow on of duh-Duh-DUH! (I'd add a cymbal crash to the end of that but I that might be a little obsessive... but feel free to add the cymbal crash if you like.) Belive me, the music IS appropriate because 'The Hill... duh-Duh-DUH!' is a winding mile of despair, especially when you have to walk it every weekday throughout the school year because the high school you attend is neatly tucked away at the very bottom of 'The Hill... duh-Duh-DUH!'

While in California my sister and I decided to drive up to the old valley where we grew up, she in her car with her kids, I in my rental car with mine. I've often told my kids about the horrible walk home from high school I had to endure every day and how sometimes (just because she was SO evil) my step-mother would drive past my sister and I as we trudged up the hill with our heavy load of books, and she'd laugh and wave and pass us right by as she headed for home. She really was a bitch but her butt was FAR wider for never having to climb 'The Hill... duh-Duh-DUH!

My sister and I wanted to drive by the old house where we grew up and see if it had changed (IT DID! Big time! and the LONG cul-de-sac we lived on? SO incredibly short!... You know, when you're on roller skates a street can seem SO much bigger.) As we approached 'The Hill... duh-Duh-DUH!' I once again began telling the story to my kids and pointing out the high school. I dutifully stopped at the stop sign at the bottom of 'The Hill... duh-Duh-DUH!' and began the climb (fortunate to be doing so in a rental car.) As we advanced to the first bend my daughter (riding in the front seat) looked over at me and smugly said, "What? This isn't so bad." I said nothing as we rounded the bend to the next part of the ascent. Chagrined, she looked over and said, "Oh, there's more isn't there?" I said nothing and just smirked as the car automatically shifted into the next gear as we rounded the next bend. At this point the grade of 'The Hill... duh-Duh-DUH!' becomes MUCH steeper and as we rounded the next bend my daughter looked up and said in a 'You've got to be kidding me' manner.... "OH COME ON?"

Both of my kids have a new found respect for me and I think, just might, take me a bit more seriously when I tell them they don't know how good they have it.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Nature Girl said...

YIKES! I cringe just THINKING about it! and I used to complain about my near 2 hour bus ride to school...at least I didn't have to climb The Hill (duh duh DUH) and I soooooo added that symbol crash...and I think if your Step mom had been MY step mom I'd have packed a tack strip in my backpack for those days when she was bound to be driving adn put it down just as she rounded the bend and then laughed my ass off as she got a flat and had to carry her damn groceries up The Hill! (duh duh DUH!)
LOL...
Stacie

2:44 PM, April 20, 2009  
Blogger lime said...

your stepmother really does sound like a special brand of bitch. did you ever fantacise about rolling her down the hill (duh Duh DUH....CRASH!)

9:12 PM, April 20, 2009  
Blogger Chris said...

Did you point out that when you were young, it was covered in snow and when you walked to/from school it was uphill both ways? ;)

10:01 PM, April 20, 2009  
Blogger EmBee said...

Yeah Stacie, I would've like to have done that but if she knew I was behind it, death would be imminent.

Mental image Lime, I LOVE it!

Well of course I did Chris, but they weren't buying it.

11:25 AM, April 21, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home