Thursday, May 25, 2006

Independence


I think it looks like a 'HE' so I've named him 'Robbie'

This morning I was witness to a phenomenon that every parent has to go through at some point in their lives... Having their babies grow to the point that their ready to leave the nest. I guess those parents that haven't gone through it either don't want it to happen and make the nest so comfortable that their babies will hopefully never wish to leave or quite the opposite, they just can't find a big enough prod to dislodge their young'un from the comforts of home. We're not quite there yet so I don't know which type I'll be.

I wish I had a way of knowing the circumstances that led to this particular baby birds venture out into the big wide world... Was it his first flight? Did he leave because with 3 other siblings and their expanding size the nest was just getting too uncomfortable? Did he leave because someone pushed him out? And if so was it a brother... a sister or his very own mom or dad? Did he leave because another sibling took off first and he wanted to see what he was missing? Or maybe, all the other siblings were taking off and he didn't want to be labeled the 'chicken'? I wonder if he stayed in that one place on the BBQ for the entire hour I spent in the kitchen this morning because he was afraid to venture any further. Maybe he sat there because he could see his parents worriedly flying from tree to tree, keeping a constant eye on him and just wanted to show them how incredibly brave and independent he could be even though the lady in the window just a few feet away kept pointing a camera at him? I really wish I knew.

I just stepped outside to check the nest and all that remains in it is 1 baby bird... He/She looks pretty comfortable and pleased with the roominess his home has taken on... I also noticed that Mom is right there in the yard looking for worms and keeping a very close eye on me and my proximity to the nest. I'm not sure if the baby currently in the nest is the same little guy from this morning, but I kinda doubt it. That baby robin on the BBQ looked for all the world like he had tasted freedom and was ready to 'FLY'

Gotta love the little tufts on the side of his head!

One of his sibling came up to the deck to check things out but grew bored
and in a rather stumbling manner flew off.

A concerned parent kept a vigilant eye on her little charge from a nearby tree.

 Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

love, love, love your photos.

3:36 PM, May 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya Marge! Not only are the pitures wonderful, but the feeling behind them too. I love how you expressed your feelings on paper. Even through a bird.

P.S. the tuffs...are cute! :)

-Chloe

7:54 PM, May 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home