Friday, May 26, 2006

More on Vacuums...

After two weeks of foot traffic and dog hair build-up I finally vacuumed. I borrowed a 'Dyson' from some friends to try out.

You can read about my the demise of my old vacuum under the heading:
What I'd give for a vacuum that doesn't SUCK!... Or should I say, One that does...?

I've heard WONDERFUL things about the 'Dyson' from a few of my friends and was (believe it or not) really anticipating the vacuuming experience I'd have with it. Frankly, it left me underwhelmed... Which is actually a HUGE relief considering the price of a 'Dyson'... I guess I was thinking that if you spent $500 on an electronic instrument it should feel at least as durable as a childs 'Tonka' truck... The 'Dyson' was more comparable to a set of 'Duplo' blocks. It sucked up stuff but not in the manner I had pictured a $500 vacuum would be capable of... I guess I expected a $500 vacuum to have the capability of leaving a deep groove in the area of carpet it just covered.... A veritable parting of the 'Red Sea' from the clean area vs. the matted dust and dirt ridden areas... I was disappointed there weren't any REALLY visible vacuum tracks.

The one thing about the 'Dyson' I DID find truely satisfying was the cerimonious emptying of the dirt collection bin. Emptying the canister on my old vacuum involved snapping it out of it's housing... Unscrewing the lid... Pulling out the filter cartridge which was matted with all matter of disgusting things! Then I'd have to turn the bin upside down over a trash can and shake out the contents... All this whilst clouds of dust and all the crap I recently removed from the floors swirled around my head and settled back upon the floor and surrounding counters and table tops. With the 'Dyson' it was a simple remove the canister, walk over to the trash, push a button and the bottom opens and dumps it's contents into a neat little pile in the bottom of the trash bag... With the 'Dyson' I didn't feel like I needed to shower after emptying the dirt bin.

So the 'Dyson' did have it's good points... But now I'm considering going back to a vacuum that uses bags to collect the dirt... Of course that would involve making sure I always had new bags in stock... Not something I'm known for. I can see myself now, pulling out the vacuum just before I'm scheduled to host a party for the 'Queen of Ginovia' and I've completely run out of refill bags for my vacuum. Betcha' had no idea that the 'Queen of Ginovia' and myself were good pals who hung out a lot together... Thinking about it that way makes me think she wouldn't really care whether or not there was lint on my carpet.

Seriously though, I think before I decide on anything, I'm going to try the 'Rolls Royce' of vacuums and take 'Oreck' up on their 30 day trial offer... I have one question though? The model I try for 30 days... Did somebody else use that in their place?... And if so is it possible for any of their dirt to leach out into my carpet?... Call me a snob but I think there's something kinda' gross about having the dirt of a complete stranger whirling around in my house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home