Monday, May 29, 2006

Stress Dreams...

We all have them... We all wake up the following morning like we didn't have a moment of rest. Mine result in aching muscels and a nagging headache. My husband says that his stress dreams usually involve trying to play golf... "It's a beautiful day, I pull the golf cart up to the first hole and go to pull the driver out of my bag and that's when I realize I have no clubs and no bag... Then I spend the rest of the dream running around trying to find my clubs so I can have some FUN playing golf!" After a dream like this he usually wakes up frustrated and moody.

The dream I had last night (yes, I believe it lasted the ENTIRE night!) involved my efforts to get to the airport on time. The thing was, it wasn't even the day of the flight. In the dream I was planning ahead... I guess I was being ultra-organized by running around busy city streets checking out bus schedules to get me to the airport a 'freakin' 2 days before I had to actually fly anywhere!!! I was stressed because I repeatedly stopped people to ask them the bus schedules and I kept getting the wrong information. I considered calling the bus company to ask for the schedule but I couldn't find a phone book on a busy city street! So I continued to walk up to every bus I saw and ask them if they went to BWI. In the dream I kept getting false information. The bus driver would say, "I don't go there but see that bus up the street? Check with him, I think that's on his route!" Then I'd run, hell bent for election up the street to the next bus just to have it pull away before I got there or find that the driver had no idea what BWI even is... Oh my God, what was I going to do? I ONLY had 2 days!!! What kind of an over organized freak am I to sweat over getting to the airport when I still have 48 hrs. to work out transportation plans?

This dream all makes perfect sense as the reality is I just booked a flight for my son and I to travel to Los Angeles to visit my sister for a week. I haven't travelled to California without my husband since my son was 19 months old... And that was a trip from hell! We missed a connecting flight through Dallas, we're supposed to fly into Burbank and they re-routed us into LAX and put 10 of us on a bus to take us to our final destination... All this while carrying my son, 2 very large suitcases, a pack n' play crib and a car seat! My son is 16 yrs. old now and he's fully capable of carrying his own luggage but the reality of things that could go wrong always make me nervous about travel... I've always been fully aware of the fact that I'd NEVER make a good candidate as a contestant on 'The Amazing Race'... I'd drop dead of a heart attack if I had to deal with the stress of that kind of travel!

So here's the deal... I don't have to worry about taking a bus to get to the airport!... We're not even flying out of BWI we're flying out of Philly and both flights out and back are non-stop! The truth of the matter is this: This is a 'bonding' trip for my son and I. We're going out alone together so we can spend quality time with eachother. Whatever life brings us will add to that adventure and no matter what we're gonna have a great time! So I'm going to tell myself tonight before I go to sleep not to stress about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home