Monday, July 17, 2006

The 'Bowling Girls'

I have a group of friends that I've known and hung out with for quite a few years... We used to bowl together until they closed down the lanes to build a grocery store... That was roughly 10 yrs. ago but we still refer to ourselves as 'The Bowling Girls'.

We once took a day trip up to New York City to have lunch and see 'Les Mis' on Broadway... We decided to have lunch before the show at a place called the 'Jekyl & Hyde Club'... It's a kitschy horror theme restaurant where statues talk to you and everyone is part of the joke.

Before walking into the 'Club' one of the girls in our group who is originally from NYC said to group, "Whatever you do, PLEASE don't tell anyone in here that we're 'BOWLERS'!!!!"... Seems she was embarrassed to admit to anyone in this big city of the seemingly ultra-chic that she was a lowly bowler... She added, "I'd rather people think I'm a 'Lesbian' than a bowler."... Not that being a Lesbian is a bad thing... She just thought it would sound cooler than, "Hi, I'm L, from Wilmington, Delaware and I'm a 'Bowler'... Of course, I don't know many Lesbians but I doubt they go around introducing themselves as... "Hi I'm ______, from Hakensack, New Jersey and I'm a Lesbian."... But I digress.... Well, all you need do is tell this group something you DON'T want them to do and you know you're in for trouble.

So we enter the club and are met at the door by a rather handsome looking guy dressed as 'Indiana Jones' with a lovely Irish lilt. He shows us to our table and squats down so he can meet us all at eye level and politely asks us where we're from... I couldn't resist... I said, "Oh, We're the Lesbian Bowlers from Wilmington, Delaware." Our friend 'L' turned a bright shade of red but before missing a beat 'Indiana Jones' came back with, "Oh, those are the worst kind you know, they don't like picking up the balls!"

Tickets to Les Mis - $70

Lunch at a kooky theme restaurant - $24

Laughing 'til your sides nearly split with a group of good friends - Priceless!



4 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

sounds like a GREAT time. your friend needs to see my bowling shoe post from a couple weeks ago, hehehe

4:17 PM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger EmBee said...

I saw it and Bowling Shoes ROCK!!!
Nice form too! ;-)

6:53 PM, July 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Margie, You KNOW this was one of the best times I ever had with the bowling girls. I will never forget it. Let's do another NYC trip !!!!!
(just one of the bowling girls)
Rose

4:48 PM, July 19, 2006  
Blogger EmBee said...

The Bowling Girls ROCKED NYC that year!

6:20 PM, July 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home