Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Childhood Playthings

After blogging about the ARCO Ark the other day, I got to thinking about some of the toys I had as a child... The good, the bad and the downright dangerous... One of the earliest toys I can remember is pictured above. It was a tin doll-house that my grandma got for me with her carefully saved S&H Greenstamps*... The doll-house had mono colored, very square, very hard plastic furniture (You don't want to accidently step on one of these pieces when you walk across your bedroom in the middle of the night.) I can recall the day I received the house and my dad putting the whole thing together... Little tin tabs, fit into little tin slots and then you bent the tabs down to keep the whole thing intact... I remember my dad cutting his finger open on the tin tab during the process. He may have been the first to have received a tin cut from the 'House of Hell' but he certainly wasn't the last! I can't recall the number of times I slit my fingers on the tin framed windows but now I can understand why Grandma kept a large stash of band-aids in the hall closet nearby.

What a nifty idea folks... Why didn't you just give us the lids to old tuna cans to play with? This was obviously the days before the public was aware of the concept of 'Suing for profit'... When you stop to think about it... How many childhood amusements can you recall that were either implements of torture or were seemingly designed to insure a trip to the emergency room... Remember 'Clackers'? 2 solid resin balls that weighed roughly a pound each, suspended from 2 pieces of string tied to a ring... The idea was to put the ring on your finger and then get a pendulum motion going with the balls... What you were trying to achieve was a double clack so that the balls hit eachother on both the down and the upswing... Get the balls out of sinc though, the string would tangle and the balls would come crashing down upon your forearm... Resulting in, at the least, a nasty bruise or a compound fracture... That was if you were lucky! On some occassions the balls were known to shatter and spray shards of resin, which could render the 'player' blind! This toy was so dangerous I couldn't even locate a picture of it on ebay... I'm sure somewhere there's a landfill teeming with resin balls and half-decomposed string. You know, when you stop and think about it... Perhaps the whole toy-making industry was just trying to insure the survival of the fittest.

Sorry about GI Joes nakedness... It's the only picture I could find of 'Joe' with the flocked hair and beard... Just like the ones my step-sisters and myself owned... But if I remember correctly, our Joe's were naked most of the time too! My step-sister 'S' always took really good care of her Joe and she had every accessory available... an inflatable raft, scuba gear, guns galore... You name it!... However, my step-sister 'T' and myself really put our Joe's through the ringer. The only accessories we owned were Parachutes and we'd pitch our Joe's off of hillsides and over rooftops... Seldom did the shoot open in the manor a parachute should... Which would leave poor Joe half-bald from having his flocked hair skinned off due to his inevitable dive into the pavement. Our sister 'S' never let us play with her Joe... Sister 'T' and I always thought her to be extremely selfish but in hindsight I can see why... She was protecting her Joe.
Quick Curl Francie... Barbie's rather under-developed, follicly challenged best friend. I liked my Francie doll for about the first 5 minutes I owned her... I could wrap her hair into a little plastic rod and roll it into a cute 'do but that only worked the first time... After that the wires in her hair never layed flat again. You can see from the picture above that 'Francie' is STILL (after 30 some odd years) suffering from a chronic bad hair day! As for My Francie doll... Eventually I cut all of her hair to within a couple millimeters of her head, dressed her in GI Joe's clothes and she became Barbie's dyke friend who all of the other dolls felt a little uncomfortable hanging out with.

Not many girlfriends that I hang out with today have ever heard of 'Tiffany Taylor'... Probably because they're all so much older than me (hee! just kidding gals.) But 'Tiffany Taylor' was perhaps the most beautiful and prized of my childhood possessions, though I have absolutely no idea where she ended up. 'Tiffany' was in a word GORGEOUS. She was 18" tall with a body that this pre-pubescent girl would pray every night she'd ultimately be graced with... She had long life-like eyelashes and her make-up was just the right touch of heavy but not whore'ish... And her skin color was a golden brown... A perfect tropical tan... Not pastey white like Barbie!

The thing with 'Tiffany' was that the top of her head twisted around so that she could be either a brunette or a blonde... For some reason the brunette side had bangs but the blonde didn't?... And because I wasn't confident enough in my hair color and I'd heard said that blonde's had more fun... My Tiffany usually sported her blonde side. My best friend next door had a Tiffany doll also and her mom and my step-mom used to make the most beautiful clothes for our dolls... I think they were in a mad competition with eachother as to who could turn out the latest in couture for the beautiful Tiffany. The bummer about Tiffany was that she didn't have a male doll to accompany her to the fancy soiree's she was always attending in order to show off those fabulous clothes... But then for a lot of women I guess that's a lot like real life.

Now it's your turn... Post a comment and let me know about your favorite or not so favorite childhood toys.


*Find out about S&H Greenstamps here. Posted by Picasa

8 Comments:

Blogger (M)ary said...

i wish i would have been your friend when i was a little girl. i loved dollhouses. still do!

i had a Mrs Beasley doll (from Family Affair)
i also had a Dressy Bessy.(and my brothers had a Dapper Dan who i adopted.)

7:57 PM, July 12, 2006  
Blogger EmBee said...

What Fun!... I had both a 'Mrs. Beasley' (which I remembered and looked up after posting this blog... Damh if she wasn't the ugliest doll, but I remember carrying her around everywhere.) I also had a 'Dressy Bessy'(which I complete forgot about until you mentioned it) I credit everything I know about buttoning, zipping, snapping and tying to good ol' Bessy! We could've had such fun together if you'd lived next door... Your dysfunctional family... My dysfunctional family... What a party!

8:51 PM, July 12, 2006  
Blogger lime said...

oh, i was soooo happy the day i got a tiffany taylor doll. i am half greek and all i wanted was a doll who had brown hair and a darker complexion. i cut off the blond hair and twirled her to the dark side. i was thrilled to have a doll that looked like me more than that blonde haired blue eyed barbie.

6:58 AM, July 13, 2006  
Blogger (M)ary said...

margie--what pictures did you find on the internet connected to dressy bessy that reminded you of a pedophile???!! wait, don't tell me if you stumbled on some sort of icky site that profanes a perfectly innocent doll!!

i found a picture of an ad from the 70's for the dolls. in a few days, i may post the ad on my blog and write about toys(inspired by you!).

ps...you are correct. i looked up Mrs Beasley and she was ugly.

7:30 AM, July 13, 2006  
Blogger EmBee said...

Hey Lime... Good for you, for embracing Tiffany's dark side... But didn't that leave her with a big bald spot in the back?

M... One e-bay there was a listing for a Bessy that had a series of pictures with the different layers of her clothes laying open... It wasn't meant to be salacious but it definitly felt creepy to me.

Here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PLAYSKOOL-DRESSY-BESSY-DOLL-Vintage-1970-Cloth_W0QQitemZ180006315163QQihZ008QQcategoryZ339QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Looking at it now seems rather benign, perhaps I was just in a creeped out mood last night.

7:49 AM, July 13, 2006  
Blogger maybetomorrow said...

Holy Crap - that's my dollhouse !!
God, I forgot all about that treasure from my youth... It sat beside my huge Barbie house - the pink one with the elevator...

My cousin had a Mrs. Beasley doll and it scared the sh*t out of me... still gives me the willies when I think about that thing...
Thanks for the memories....

9:20 PM, July 13, 2006  
Blogger MGW said...

You all are just too young! In the '50's we had metal Hopalong Cassidy guns with holsters, Dan'l Boone coonskin caps, and Ginny dolls (mine was small, had bright red hair, and my grandmother made her a huge wardrobe). My favorite toy -- paper dolls. I'd cut all the clothes to fit one doll (no matter who they were originally made for) and then invite stories. Susan Hayworth was my favorite paper doll.

3:42 PM, July 19, 2006  
Blogger EmBee said...

mbtomorrow - You bet... Mrs. Beasley was one UGLY doll!

milly - Paper dolls never went out of style... I remember playing with Barbie paper dolls when I was young... Though I remember being frustrated because I was never happy with my cutting capabilities.

6:18 PM, July 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home