Monday, October 23, 2006

I, Me, Mine, Myself...

I wondered to myself earlier today if I could write a blog entry that wasn't about me... It's obvious from the first sentence out of the gate, I CAN'T!

It's no secret that 'blogging' is a narcissistic activity... Why else would one want to post snippets of their thoughts and circumstances of their lives for all the world to see (though my world so far, consists of roughly 1800 some odd people, most never to return again due to my admittedly lack-lustre writing skills and poorly formed ideas.) Yes, I'm such a narcissist that I keep a running count!

The reasons I blog are little more than vanity driven. I enjoy writing very much and envy those who can sculpt words, much like an artist manipulates clay to create an awe inspiring piece of artwork. 3(pathetic attempt at flowery prose.) Blogging is my attempt to practice that art. Blogging also gives me the interesting challenge to dissect my thoughts and feelings and then mend those thoughts together into something that might be considered thought provoking or interesting to others... And yes, it's a therapeutic way of examining my issues.

There are some things I've desired to write about, but worry about revealing too much to those who know me... That's when I wish I would've opted to blog anonymously. However, to write anonymously means to forgo the possible praise from those who know me and read my musings.... I admit it, I've got to feed that hungry monster that is my self-esteem... It's an ugly fact that I figure I might as well own up to.

(26 references to myself... uh, make that 27!)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I blog anonymously to avoid the reason why you don't blog anonymously, if that made any sense at all. I'd rather not hear that praise because eventually it would really get to me. I don't know why, I'd just rather avoid those closest to me knowing certain things about me, strange as it may seem.

8:12 PM, October 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. When I read this post I thought: Can I see myself as a self-involved blogger?
Me? Self-centered? Little ole me??

I am not sure. Let me think about me for awhile and maybe write a post about it on my blog. I'll get back to you.

Ha,ha...you bring up a good point.

I do believe that
1)talking about ourselves or sharing our points of view can
help other people.
2) venting feelings and being selfish on a blog or in a journal, can help free up our energy so that in our "real" lives we function better.

8:46 PM, October 23, 2006  
Blogger EmBee said...

Not strange at all Thinker... It must be freeing to say whatever you like with no fear of recourse.

8:07 AM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger EmBee said...

I look forward to that post M... And on points 1 & 2... Is it narcissistic to think that talking about our problems will help others? To THINK it will, yes... But in actuality it probably does help otheres at times... And yes, it definitly is a form of release.

8:12 AM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger lime said...

I am glad you decided to blog and commented first at my place so I could find yours....

see? I can't even comment....

10:53 AM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger EmBee said...

Me too! See Lime, it's difficult isn't it! Maybe that should be a challenge to throw out to everyone... Try a post where there is absolutely no self reference whatsoever! Hmmmmmm?

2:21 PM, October 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ayn Rand wrote a book, Anthem, about one man's rediscovery of the meaning of the word "I" when he lived in world that refused to allow individuality. Not as relevant today as it was during the cold war but worth thinking about. If you do a post with no self references........is it what you think.........is it what you feel.....is it who you are? Part of the charm of your blog is that you lay out what you think, feel, or are and allow the reader to react in their own way. And...that's what "I" think, and it is, after all, all about ME!

6:22 PM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger EmBee said...

An Excellent point Linda... I concur!

9:11 PM, October 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home