Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The Grass is Always Greener...

This morning I was listening to one of my favorite radio call in shows and the topic of discussion was, 'What is your dream job?'... The host of the show was perturbed at some of the callers for not thinking BIG enough... One guy said he dreams of opening his own Guitar/Music Shop, another said he wished to drive the zamboni at the hockey games... The host kept saying things like, "But why not be the lead guitarist in a rock band?" or "Why not wish to be a hockey all-star player?" I liked the reply of the first guy who said, "I have a wife and two kids and my life is no longer condusive to living the life of a rock star. I just know I would love getting up for work every day and going to my own shop to sell guitars." The second guy didn't give an answer but my bet is that he doesn't want to get hit in the face with a slap-shot... The zamboni is a much safer gig, and some folks don't need to find satisfaction from the glory and adoration of others.

The topic reminded me of a circumstance that occurred years ago...

My husband and I were both working in the aerospace industry at the time and attended a party with a bunch of people from the company. At this time my husband was a 'Flight Test Engineer' which is pertinent to the story. One of the guys at the party, who I'd never seen before, happened to be a 'Flight Test Pilot' and my husband pointed him out to me saying, "See that guy right there? He is one lucky man, because of his job he can get any girl in this room!" I, of course was happily married but have to admit that a little 'Top Gun' fantasy ran through my head.

I never did get the opportunity to meet 'The Pilot' at the party but several months later I was asked by the friend who hosted the party if I'd like to spend a weekend in Vegas with her and some friends. My husband was away on business so I thought, what the heck and said, "Sounds like fun!" Now here's the kicker, we ended up staying at the house of 'The Test Pilot' himself. He was a really nice guy and a wonderful host. The handsome, single 'Test Pilot' had an office in his home with pictures of all of his travels and planes he'd flown. He kept his helmet on a shelf there and a flight suit hung in front of the closet. He showed us a photo of himself with his niece and her 2nd grade class he had gone to visit on 'Career Day'.... He was proud to show off his accomplishments to his guests but the real irony was when he said, "Yeah, but what I'd REALLY like to do is go back to school and become a 'Flight Test Engineer'." "You're kidding me!", I said. "But it must be so cool being a pilot?" That's when he told me that his job was for the most part, extremely boring. "You can sit for hours in a plane just waiting to perform a 15 second test, so it's really not very intersting at all... But being an 'Engineer' that's where all the excitement lies." I didn't have the heart to tell him that the engineering job can be just as slow and frustrating and definitly void of the thrill one must feel strapped to a rocket. I did however, go home and tell my husband that being able to 'Get any girl in a room' apparently isn't all it's cracked up to be.

2 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

wow! what an awesome post! i too love the response of the family man....his dream job makes both him AND his family happy, which says a lot about him. and what great irony between your hubby and the pilot. thanks s o much for sharing.

2:56 PM, October 20, 2006  
Blogger EmBee said...

Much appreciated for the nod Lime... It means a lot coming from you.

9:43 PM, October 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home