Tuesday, May 08, 2007

07-07-07 The Perfect Date?

I read in the paper yesterday that couples everywhere are struggling to find a venue, limos, catering and 'The Works' for their JULY 7, 2007 wedding date. The article went into all the superstitious mumbo-jumbo that makes the date so desirable.

Listen-up folks! It's not about the limo, the dress, the place or the date. Take it from couples who have been married for a while (at least 20 yrs.) who have marriages that are still going strong and are happy to wake up to the same loving face every day... It's all about the commitment... Yes, the Commitment! All that wedding stuff... It's over in a day... It's a party, a celebration but all the money and planning in the world... And EVEN the perfect date aren't going to amount to much if you aren't willing to work on the marriage. Work? you say... Hell yeah! It takes maturity to admit when you're wrong and kindness to not rub your partners nose in it when you're right. It takes time to work through all the differences you encounter when you begin a life with someone other than just yourself. There will be times when one of you feels neglected... Times when you'll need to ask yourself what's most important. Once kids enter the mix the work gets even more intense because there are so many more circumstances that require a meeting of the minds. No matter HOW fantastical that wedding celebration was nor the amount of money you threw at it... I doubt you'll spend a second reflecting on it while your in the middle of an argument with your spouse. It's all the things you've done together between the day you fell in love and now that will play out in your mind when your life together is wonderful, difficult, adventurous, trying, beautiful and frustrating... All the emotions that come with simply living a life.

Not long ago my husband gave me a list, single spaced, typed on the computer... A page full of titles. The titles were a brief description of all the special moments we have shared together as a couple. The list includes Dates we went on 'Numero Uno Pizza in Toluca Lake, California', 'Surprise picnic on Malibu beach after work'... Trips we took 'Disneyworld', 'Honeymoon in Maui' and 'Art Galleries on Cape Cod'... He included the most amazing moments of our lives together 'The day our son was born'... 'The early morning our daughter was born'. I cried as I sat and read the list he created. My husband isn't much of a romantic but when it comes to romance THIS was the most... Simply THE MOST! I ended up formatting the list, typeset and printed it out on acetate. It's framed in clear glass and hangs on our bedroom wall.

I should note that our wedding pretty much sucked! I hated the dress that my grandmothers seamstress friend completed the day before the wedding... Family members had to come together who quite literally hated one another... My mother was WELL medicated throughout the day... My step-sister bridesmaid decided before the wedding to dye her brown hair white and get a mohawk... Our best man forgot to give a toast, lucky my brother-in-law filled in and my evil step-monster made her feelings known by wearing black. It's a good thing we weren't pinning our hopes on a wonderful life together based solely on the outcome of our wedding day.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

heehee, take a look at your first paragraph...07-07-07 is July...not June :) I am actually in a wedding on this date...they wanted it in Vegas, but they settled on Chicago in their hometown. I completely agree, the date doesn't matter. Our wedding was a blast, but I wouldn't trade the time we get to spend together for a perfect wedding date ever! There is no such thing as a perfect "date" the days that will make the biggest impression are random days, like the random Wednesday that Jimmy brought me home flowers for no reason. The day he proposed and took me on a horse and carriage ride and all of the wonderful things he said to me. Or the day I came home to an early Christmas present of our puppy Tucker. I could go on and on... Those are some of the days I will never forget.

7:46 AM, May 08, 2007  
Blogger lime said...

amen!!!!

8:47 PM, May 08, 2007  
Blogger EmBee said...

Thanks Carrie, I fixed the June/July thing. Your SO right about the 'Random Days' and I think it's like that with everything... Special moments, the ones that mean the most 'Just Happen', they can't be planned ahead no matter how much voodoo or money you throw their way. How lucky you are to have found a guy who understands that!

Lime, I know... we 'oldyweds' have been there and understand.

2:52 PM, May 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home