Monday, April 16, 2007

This is what 14 looks like...

Today my daughter turned 14. For her a milestone, if all you know are the ages 1 thru 13.

Having read the post about my son turning 17 she asked me to blog about her birth...

Honey, I'd love to but having a 3 yr. old at the time leaves my memories rather clouded and vague... I think I've told you everything I know, which sadly isn't much... Though, I don't mind telling you again how thrilled I was when the doctor told me "It's a Girl!"... And you'll remember me telling you that my first thought was, "I get to be the mother of a bride."... (So sue me, I like to plan ahead.) However, I've always figured that was the kiss of death. Just for thinking it, you're bound to decide never to marry and if you do, you'll probably elope.

What I want to do is tell you how incredibly proud I am of you. Today for instance, we had a wonderful day planned... Baltimore Inner Harbor, The Aquarium & The Cheesecake Factory for lunch all with our best friends... A Moms & Daughters day in the city! Sadly, the weather has played an evil trick and sent gale force winds and flooding our way. Crossing that I-95 bridge over the Susquehanna River was a dicey proposition on a day when the wind is gusting up to 50 miles an hour. Especially when you're on the road with a caravan of 18 wheelers. I was so concerned about waking you this morning to break the news that I decided we should postpone our trip. I thought certain that you'd be terribly disappointed and I'd have to console you with promises. Instead, this 14 yr. old well poised young lady greeted me with hugs and smiles and agreement that Wednesday, when the wind dies down, would be a much better day to celebrate. Maybe you knew I would scold you for complaining, but I don't think so. You've faced a few other disappointments lately with such grace. Like that art piece you worked on for weeks that blew up in the kiln. Shoot, even Heather (the owner), was afraid to tell you about it. But with a maturity I didn't know you had, you simply shrugged your shoulders and said, "I'm not sculpting scales again."

In the past few weeks I've seen so many examples of you growing into a thoughtful and mature individual. I watched you just the other day stop and hold the door open for 5 or 6 people, before entering the shop yourself... A seemingly small thing, but it touched my heart none-the-less because it meant you were thinking of others. Recently you helped defend a boy at school who pretty much needs at least one person on his side because he's so difficult to get along with... But you saw an injustice and you stepped in... Kudos to you for being a friend by putting yourself in someone else's shoes and realizing how uncomfortable they are. I've also noticed a big difference in the way you relate to your brother... Something I know is difficult for you. I never had an older brother, especially one who was so subtle with words that one sentence could become a tease so wicked sharp, that it could cut you to the bone. As your mom, I try to understand... but I know I'm quicker to blame you for being mean than I am your brother. Lately though, you've been doing what I like to refer to as, "Using your words"... And maybe because you've been able to work things out verbally, you've been less reluctant to show a little more affection towards him. Heck, maybe there's hope that someday after Dad and I move away to our own little retirement village you two will call eachother on the phone once in a while, just to say Hi!

So maybe this isn't the blog post you were expecting babe. But it is a wonderful oppurtunity to tell you that even though they've passed too swiftly, I absolutely loved the years of birth through 13 and I wouldn't trade a moment of it for the world... But 14, Fourteen is already really Awesome!

Happy Birthday Baby Girl!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

she sounds like a remarkable young lady. happy birthday, girl!

hope wednesday is wonderful and special in every way it can be.

9:59 AM, April 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home