Monday, October 08, 2007

Grapes Anyone?

There hasn't been much time for blogging lately as I spent the last week planning and executing a family event... The 4th Annual Jerry Blystone Memorial Golf Tournament. It's a party which honors my father-in-law who in life, absolutely loved Golf, Family & Food. Since food is also rather near and dear to my heart, I like to spend the weeks leading up to the event researching new and unique ideas for meeting my guests gastric needs, which because it's an all day event must include Breakfast Fare, Snacks & Nibblers for the non-golfing crowd, Main course BBQ food and to round it all out, an array of Desserts.

There's the 'Classics' which are always on the menu... Namely, Spinach Dip in a bread bowl with bread and veggies for dipping (with this crowd a double batch is always a necessity.) The first year I believe we went with the 'classic' burger and dog BBQ but we've since broadened our pallets and now serve Marinated London Broil (in my own secret sauce) along with Grilled Sausages served with onions and peppers on rolls. Hungry yet? I'm not... She who spends the time preparing all the food tends to be rather underwhelmed when it comes time to eat it... Plus, spending the afternoon eating a gallon of Spinach Dip and bread leaves one completely stuffed come 'the real food'.

Anyway, I had time to take one picture before the party started, it's of the edible centerpiece I made for breakfast. I found it in 'Taste of Home' magazine and thought it would make a nice addition to the party.

Behold the cascading tower of fruit (mostly grapes)

Pretty, dontcha think? It was great fun to assemble, though I had to rise from my bed at o' dark thirty to make sure it was ready in time. However, there's one problem with this thing of beauty... I've got so many grapes left over I could start my own winery! Yes, folks picked at it but I had to purchase 10 lbs. of grapes to cover the damn styrofoam... 10 LBS!!! I mean, I like grapes and all but eat too many and well, you know? So anyone out there have any suggestions for all these extra grapes? If so, let me know.


Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

we like to snack on frozen grapes when the weather is warm, since fall hasn't really brought us cool weather...maybe...

7:32 AM, October 09, 2007  
Blogger EmBee said...

Grapecicles in Oct? Seems like a perfect solution to this freakish heatwave we're experiencing.
Thanks, Lime!

11:19 AM, October 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THAT'S SOOOOOOOO BEAUTIFUL

10:16 AM, October 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home