Thursday, September 06, 2007

So Long... Fare thee well!

Day before yesterday I did it!

I'd been meaning to, I'd been wanting to, I'd been longing to... Cut off the tangled mess of nastiness upon my head that some would refer to as hair.


Because my hair is SO curly it was often difficult to tell how long it really was until I went swimming or was caught in a really bad rainstorm... Then I'd often hear, "I never realized your hair is THAT long... Wow!" When wet it fell below my bra line, at least that stringy mid-section of my hair that grew faster than the rest of the hair on my head.


Of course by having my hair cut I've lost the perfect opportunity to terrify little children on Oct. 31... All I needed do was throw on a cape and fake wart and Broomhilda would have some fierce competition, but I just couldn't wait that long.


So now my hair is shoulder length... I probably wouldn't have gone that short but I told the hairstylist to leave as much length as possible but to be sure she got rid of all the dead stuff. It's been a LONG time since I've visited a hair salon folks... Trust me, there was a LOT of dead stuff. Of course, my husband had to point out that hair IS "Dead Stuff"... But you ladies know what I mean, am I right?


I admit my hair looked a bit fluffy and crispy (I hate the mousse crap they put in your hair when they style it!) after I left the salon... When I finally asked my son that evening over dinner if he'd noticed the MAJOR change in the appearance of my head, he looked at me as though he were looking at
me for the very first time in say 3 or 4 years and said, "Oh nice! I think it kind of looks like Penn Jillette when he lets HIS hair down."

Now some of you may not know who 'Penn Jillette' is... Ever heard of the magicians 'Penn & Teller'?
Yeah, that's him on the left...




And this is what he looks like with his hair down:















So I told my darling boy, "Yep, that's exactly what I was going for... I sat myself right down in the stylists chair and told her, No Jennifer Aniston cut for me... I want to look just like Penn Jillette... Minus the goatee of course!" Just so you know, MY hairstyle includes whispy bangs.


Fortunately, the next day when my daughter returned from her sleep over, she saw my hair and couldn't find enough flattering comments to shower me with... "Mom you look SO pretty!... I Love your hair!... You look SO good!" Believe it or not, SHE noticed the difference in my hair the first second she saw me, I didn't even have to point out the fact I'd gotten it cut.

Someday my son is going to marry a woman who will one day decide to try out a new hairstyle and when she calls to tell me that my son/her husband, has a big dent in the back of his head where she walloped him, I'll reply with... "Isn't that nice."

4 Comments:

Blogger Whiskeymarie said...

Boys.
My Mr. rarely notices any hair changes. I've learned to point them out to him to spare him the ordeal.

Funny thing is, I've been trying desperately to get him to cut his hair for, oh...a month, and he can't take a hint.
If, by hint, I mean: "you need a haircut- BAD"
Boys.

12:16 AM, September 08, 2007  
Blogger lime said...

we coudl be sisters. my kids tell me i need a hairtcut when the curls reach the 'drugged out hippy hair stage' they're just so good for me ego...

3:10 PM, September 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What, no photo of your new haircut?
Linda J.

4:14 PM, September 13, 2007  
Blogger EmBee said...

Wise move WM... Next time I'll just wear a big arrow on my head that says, NOTICE NEW HAIRCUT!

Lime - my hair does have a LOT of the same type of curl as yours though not nearly as stunning!

Linda - What, and subject myself to blog world ridicule... Not a chance!

2:45 PM, September 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home