Sunday, September 23, 2007

What's that in your pocket?

Went shopping for new jeans the other night for my daughter... I know, fun stuff huh?

We were running like a well oiled machine... She, slipping off one pair and quickly tugging on yet another... Me, grabbing a handful of denim... Running out of the dressing room whilst trying to keep the latest figures in my head (SO Brand Jeans - size 3 - Tall, too small & too-long... Go for a size 5, Average... Levis Brand 5 too big... See if they have a size 3... Bongo Brand Jeans, cut too low to even cover her underwear... Don't even bother...etc... etc. etc.)

Part way through the dressing room dash my daughter paused and reached into the pocket of the current pair of jeans she was trying on... "What's this?" she says, as she reaches into the pocket and pulls out a small whitish stone. "I think there's a rock in these jeans." She inspects the find and then drops it onto the small rectangular corner seat (which I KNOW couldn't hold my weight, in fact I'm not quite sure it's a seat at all, it must just be there to secure a purse for it would surely break off the wall if anyone ever tried sitting on it... but I digress)... So anyway, as the small stone lands on the seat/corner counter, rather than hearing the sharp click of a stone, the sound which we hear is that of a dull thud and that's when I realize, "I don't think that's a rock at all, in fact I think it's a piece of used gum." The face of my daughter, the 'Germ-a-phobe', proceeds to contort with all manner of disgust as she repeatedly shouted "Ewwwww, EEeeeewwww, EeeeeeWWWWWwwww, Oh my God... Who would do that, Eeeeewwww, I HAVE to wash my hands, I touched it, Eeeeewwww, I have to wash my hands NOW!" I must admit I wasn't exactly helpful as I stood there laughing and saying, "So what do you think of those pants, they look pretty good on you?" "These pants, I CAN'T get THESE PANTS, THEY HAD GUM IN THEM!!!" she keens. I of course, knew that would be the answer.

It wasn't long after the GUM incident that we made our way to the restrooms so my daughter could banish all germs from her fingers... I think she may have left enough soap for the next restroom visitor, though I'm not quite sure. She swears that the incident was SO damaging to her psyche that she may never chew gum again. I'm not sure if that will hold true, but time will tell.

You've got to wonder who would consider such an idea as to dispose of their tired old gum in a pocket of new jeans... Someone on the production line? Someone delivering the goods to/from the warehouse? Someone working in the store, too tired to take a break and search out a trash bin? Or someone trying on a new pair of jeans they disliked intensely? The wad wasn't stuck to the pocket so it must've been pretty dry when it was placed there... And WHY am I spending time speculating on it's placement there?

Roughly 48 pairs of jeans tried on.
One blister on my daughters thumb from yanking pants on and off.
3 pair of comfortably fitting jeans purchased (without any traces of gum in the pockets.)
And one nasty piece of old dried out gum sitting somewhere under the mock seat of the corner dressing room at Kohl's.
Hope she's set for clothes for awhile.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

i'd be speculating too. that's just weird! my grandmother worked as a clerk in a ladies clothign store for 40 years and she had quite a few tales of odd things left in dressing rooms and clothes and such.

5:40 PM, September 23, 2007  
Blogger EmBee said...

Well there's some fine blogging ideas for you Lime. C'mon, inquiring minds want to know.

7:14 AM, September 24, 2007  
Blogger Whiskeymarie said...

That's just plain ol' wrong. Gum? I'm always surprised at the strange places people find to dispose of the stuff...

11:08 AM, September 25, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home