Sunday, September 09, 2007

Wordsmith

Vacation... A time to bond with family & friends. Also a time to catch up on game competition... Scrabble to be exact. My friend Lori is a stellar Scrabbler... I on the other hand am rather lack-luster at the game. But last night Lori was really tired so I figured it was the perfect time to rope her into a battle of wordplay. It was even more fun when my sister-in-law (even more outstanding at Scrabble than Lori & myself) decided to join in the game.

Part way through the game as we were exchanging friendly jabs back and forth, most of them aimed at Lori... She announced, "I hope both of you lose, in fact I hope you both have Q's and NO U's.." Following that verbal tongue lashing she followed with, "By the way, did you know that Q-A-I-D is the ONLY Scrabble word that doesn't need a U?... I learned that playing one time and never forgot it!" and she finished up her turn by laying her tiles, counting her points and writing them down.

And then it was my turn.

"Q-A-I-D, you say?" I asked.

"Yes, that's right... but I don't know how you pronounce it." she replied.

And then right on top of the triple letter score I carefully lay down my first letter, a Q.

Then my second letter, an A.

After than my third letter, an I.

All attached to the letter D that was in the perfect position, giving me an obscene amount of points.

My sister-in-law won the game but better than that, I beat Lori.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

LOL, well done!!!

3:11 PM, September 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home