Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Tale of Two Decorators

I remember when I was young (circa 1970's) and the holidays were drawing nigh... We'd beg my parents to pull out the decorations and prepare our house for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas... And I could never understand their apathetic attitude towards bringing in a holiday. My step-mother would often snap, "We'll get it out soon, just hold your horses." The same came with the excitement that would build in us kids over the idea of hopefully going to see Fireworks on the 4th... Only to be met with my dad informing us that he didn't want to "Deal with all that traffic!" My family could really rain all over a holiday parade like no other and I swore when I grew up I would never let the excitement die away.

Enter adulthood and the 2000's and here I am, kids almost grown and I'm as enthusiastic about digging out and unpacking my holiday crap as I am about taking a trip to the dentist. It just doesn't hold the thrill for me anymore. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing I enjoy more than seeing a home tastefully decorated for the seasons. Especially when I walk the neighborhood and see lovely porches decked out with mums & pumpkins and beautiful fall wreaths. I just wish I had the inclination, the energy and an accessible place to store it all.

Now let me introduce you to my dear friend 'Atlanta Rose'... A gal with an incredible eye for style, decor, and a great bargain! Rose sent me pictures of her GORGEOUS new home all warm and beautiful for the holidays... Here are some samples:





Breathtaking No? I'm sure it won't be long before her rooms are featured in Better Homes & Gardens.

After a long conversation with her the other day regarding me lackadaisical attitude towards decorating my home for fall... I finally went out of my way to do SOMETHING and here is the result:


So what do you think... Too much?

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

it's a tastefully minimalist design that gives the viewer a moment to pause and consider deeper existential questions that may arise as the bounty of summer shifts to the death implied by autumn....just prior to saying, 'i think some leaves stuck to your shoe.'

hehehe, put me in your camp.

oh and the 'mom my ride' vid was a stitch...oh so true! thanks for the giggle. :)

11:09 AM, September 20, 2007  
Blogger EmBee said...

Wow Lime, You totally GET me!

12:38 PM, September 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your interior decorating never ceases to impress me. I just wish you were in CA so you could help me pick out which 2 leaves to decorate with. The possibilities are limitless. What can I send you that will help you help me make my decision?????

3:04 PM, September 21, 2007  
Blogger EmBee said...

Oh Linda, so pleased I could be such an inspiration... Just send me your unwavering love and affection and pick those two leaves just outside the back door on the patio... Yes, those two there... Now carefully find the very center point of your living space and with a devil-may-care attitude toss them into the air... Where they land, there they be and you have yourself a stunning bit of fall decor.

Warning: Be careful not to overdo with too many leaves... Two should be just fine and minimize the clean-up later. :-)

3:48 PM, September 21, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TWO LEAVES? TWO? Come on, every good decorator knows you MUST decorate in groups of THREE!

6:56 AM, September 24, 2007  
Blogger EmBee said...

Anonymous... Perhaps it's time you meet 'The Minimalist Decorator'... Hee, thanks for the comment!

7:11 AM, September 24, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home