Thursday, November 01, 2007

Because I NEVER go back on my word...

So it was the end of September when my husband and I had a conversation relating to my breasts... We don't speak of them often, most of the time they're just kinda there, ya know? However, my husband thought it was time I FINALLY get a Mammogram... UGH! "I know, I know!" I said. You see, I'm 43 now and I've yet to go through the process which was once described to me in an e-mail as comparative to 'Laying down on the garage floor and having my husband run over them with the rear tire of his car.'.... Uh, sure, ya... I'll get right on that, when can I get an appointment?

I'm really not that big of a baby when it comes to pain... I've given birth twice, had 2 episiotomies in the process, ouch!... I've had my uterus removed and an ovary along with it... AND I've had both my nipples sliced off, my breasts cut open, 7 1/2 lbs. of excess boob taken out and had the whole damn thing sewn all back together again! It kind of freaks people out when I tell them my nipples once rested on a table beside me and were then sewn back on with a hefty needle and some strong thread. I was unconscious the entire time so I couldn't tell you my thoughts on the procedure. All I can say is, there was post-surgical pain involved but the results were SO worth the new 'Large B/Small C' size cup vs. the 'G' size cup I had prior to surgery. I used to say the 'G' stood for, "Good God can they Get any bigger?"

So this all leads me to the FEAR of having someone pull, squish, crush and mash my chest, laden with scar tissue, that to this day can still, at times ache... Not to mention how uncomfortable it can be for ones nipples in a cold movie theater. BUT, I made a promise to my husband! I told him I would schedule my first mammogram during October aka Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Okay, so I waited UNTIL the LAST day of Breast Cancer Awareness Month to actually SCHEDULE the damn thing but I DID IT! On Tuesday the 6th 'round about 2:30 in the afternoon I'll have that proverbial tire crushing my delicate mammaries. But I made a promise and I NEVER go back on my word!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

good girl. i'm proud of you. let me reassure you since i've had 3 c-secs and that whole ugly surgery with my arm. and if yo ucanhandle post surgical pain from that reduction...a mammogram is really nuthin. quite honestly i find a pelvic exam more physically uncomfortable. you'll be ok.

7:06 AM, November 02, 2007  
Blogger EmBee said...

Thanks for the encouragement Lime... And you KNOW I'll be blogging about the experience afterward. :-)

7:52 AM, November 02, 2007  
Blogger Whiskeymarie said...

Good luck, my dear.
I need to know (in detail) of what I have to look forward to.
;)

6:08 PM, November 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home