Monday, June 16, 2008

The Perils of Putting it Out There!

Today was my first attempt at 'putting it out there'... My cards to be exact.

I've been selling my Paper Art, Dream Books & Cards for years. All by commission and word of mouth. Today however, I actually walked into a gift shop, snipped the ragged thread which secured the tentative hold I have on my self esteem and spilled my worth across the gift counter'.

My friend Lori, recently got to know a woman who owns the gift shop of which I speak. I'm grateful to Lori for not even thinking twice about asking her new friend if she'd be interested in my cards and for setting up an appointment for me to meet with her. I am such a BIG FAT GIANT WUSS when it comes to this kind of thing. Just let me sit in my studio, let the muses take over and create away... Ask me to put on the hat of the slick saleswoman, touting my goods and defending their worth... Well, I'd much rather shrivel up and die a thousand deaths.

Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of the work I do, but I'm also very critical of myself. I'd much rather be the first to criticize myself or my work before I give another the chance to do it first. And then, when it comes to the monetary value.... e-gads I REALLY hate that part!... Again let me reiterate, just let me sit and play with paper, don't make me think about how much it costs, how much time it takes, business licenses or tax implications... These matters make the creative process wither on the vine.

Anyway, I think the shop owner liked what she saw, (she LOVED my business cards)... However, it's always hard to gauge. Was she complimentary 'because' she was doing a friend a favor? OR Is she like me, and wouldn't want to hurt anyones feelings? She took 4 cards on consignment... I know, just 4 cards, sounds more like a pity purchase... Not even a purchase really, they ARE on consignment... But, whatever. She did however give me a list of the type of cards her customers are typically interested in, so I'm taking that to mean she'd like to see something more closely related to the theme of her shop.

Lori is determined to represent me and I'm thrilled for it, because I SO suck at it! She's got me scheduled to meet with someone from the local flower shop on Wednesday. I kinda know some people there, so I'm not as apprehensive as I was about todays meeting. Plus, I think my cards are far more fitting for a 'Florist/Gift Shop' than a shop with a 'Boating/Chesapeake' theme... So excuse me while I go make more cards....

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger scargosun said...

I have a friend who is in a similar business and you really have to put yourself out there. Good things will come of it, I promise. :)

2:33 PM, June 16, 2008  
Blogger EmBee said...

I know, I know *whining* but I HATE this part!

2:39 PM, June 16, 2008  
Blogger lime said...

i feel your pain, that woudl be hard for me too. so glad you have a good friend advocating for you. :)

4:20 PM, June 16, 2008  
Blogger Chandra said...

That is very cool. Opportunity is knocking! (Even if is your friend doing the knocking.) :)

6:44 PM, June 16, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean...but let your Light shine girlfriend! You've got talemts, so work 'em!

11:11 AM, June 17, 2008  
Blogger -Bridget said...

Good luck! I really hope things work out for you and things take off!

11:44 PM, June 23, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home