Friday, June 13, 2008

Hot Head

Please Note: The opinions of my father are definitely his own, and in no way reflect my personal values.

A conversation with my dad:

Him: "I went to get gas the other day and had to wait for this jerk on his cell phone! I sat there waiting in the 100 degree heat while he went into the shop and bought his sodas and crap while I sat there waiting and the whole time he was talking on his cell phone!" *Imagine the words 'cell phone' being spat out like a bad piece of fruit.* "When the guy finally came back to his car, still talking on his cell phone, I laid on my horn and yelled out to him, "Either you move that car now or I'm gonna push it out of my way!"

Me: "So dad, how's that heart attack thing workin' for you?" *My dad suffered a heart attack (his first and I'm guessing it won't be his last) back in May*

Him: "Uh, yeah, but I'm so tired of people in this world thinking ONLY about themselves."

Me: "Whatever Dad, but you sound like such an asshole!" *whoa! did I just say that? did I just call my dad an asshole?*

Him: "Well ya know, it's these damn people in the world who don't consider anyone but themselves!"

Me: *Interesting, I wonder who exactly, my dad was considering at the time he was acting like such an asshole* "Well yes, but you might have said something to the guy like, "Hey, it's hot and I've been waiting awhile, are you almost done?"

Him: "I don't want to talk to these people, too busy talking on their cell phones!... And the guy was black!"

Me: "Oh, so now you're an Asshole AND a Bigot." *whoa, I did it again?*

Him: "Uh, well.... *chuckles*.... It just makes me so mad!"

Me: "You need to work on that."

I'm 43 years old and I think this is the first time in my life I've had the guts to hold a mirror up to my dad and suggest he take a look at himself. It's liberating... And I feel a little giddy.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah you!!! We get brave in our old age...(that's me I'm talking about) Good for you!!

11:34 AM, June 13, 2008  
Blogger scargosun said...

There comes a time when daddy's little girl must stand up and point out that Dad can rant and rave but he won't always be right. Looks like 43 years is about the right time. ;)

11:37 AM, June 13, 2008  
Blogger lime said...

rock on!

it ain't easy standing up to angry fathers. i grew up with one and was terrified of him. but when i finally screwed up the guts, yes, like you, i found it was very liberating.

congrats ;)

2:23 PM, June 13, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go girl!

2:39 PM, June 13, 2008  
Blogger LaQuintamomof3 said...

Here via SITS
Way to go!

I applaud you, not easy to do!

10:34 PM, June 13, 2008  
Blogger EmBee said...

Thanks so much to all of you for your comments... It makes my small victory doubly sweet... Also leaves me wondering if my dad ever reads my blog????

6:17 AM, June 14, 2008  
Blogger Candid Carrie said...

Hi - I popped over via SITS and I'll through in my two cents worth ... I am very surprised you aren't grounded ;)

2:12 PM, June 14, 2008  
Blogger EmBee said...

Hi Carrie, thanks for 'popping' in... And yeah, LOL... If I am, I hope he sends me to my room to think for a while... I could really use a nap right now! *chuckling*

3:38 PM, June 14, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home