Thursday, September 11, 2008

A SLOW Read...

I purchased 3 books on the second day of our visit to the beach. My friend Lori purchased something like 6 books from the wholesale bin. My books were carefully chosen after perusing not one but two book stores.

It's day 5 and Lori has finished over 3 of her books. I have roughly 5 pages left of the first of my 3 books. This book is all of 257 pages. Why do I read so slow? No matter how hard I try, I simply can't block out all the conversations which float (sometimes fly) back and forth in this house. I'll be reading a sentence from my book and it'll go something like this:

"It was a dark and stormy... SO THAT'S WHY EVERYONE IS UPSET WITH AL GORE."

I'll clear my head and then start again:

"It was a dar... JOEY TOLD MONICA THAT RACHEL WAS GOING OUT WITH ROSS." (We brought 'Friends' along with us to the beach and I made the mistake of reading in the same room as the dvd player.


So I'll move out to the porch:


"It was a... SO, WOULD YOU LIKE TO JOIN ME FOR A BEACH WALK?"


Then I'll move to the bedroom:


"It wa... HEY HONEY, WHAT WERE YOUR THOUGHTS FOR DINNER THIS EVENING?"


I'm gonna try hard to finish my last 5 or 6 pages. After that I'll most likely wait to start the second and third books until we get home and everyone is back to school and work.


Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger WheresMyAngels said...

Your so not like me. Nothing comes between my books and me. I will pay attention to nothing else, unless I don't like the book. But I also wouldn't be reading on vacation. I'd be having fun.

9:09 PM, September 11, 2008  
Blogger Belle (from Life of a...) said...

Same problem here. Seems like I can only really read after everybody has gone to bed.

6:14 AM, September 12, 2008  
Blogger EmBee said...

Hi Angels,
See here's the difference... I think I've got early Alzheimer's combined with a really short attention span. Since I rarely take time to read when I'm NOT on vacation, reading a good book for me IS having fun!
:-)

Belle,
I tried that last night and went to bed early to read... Then my husband came in and turned on the tv in our room... I just gave up and put the book down.
:-)

9:28 AM, September 12, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's brilliant! I can usually get pretty engrossed in a book and tune everyone and everything else out, but there are those times that one of thos contraptions would come in handy!

9:50 AM, September 12, 2008  
Blogger santamaker said...

Oh heck, why read when so many great reality show reruns are on?..LOL...
hey, thanks for the words of wisdom about my "little problem" ! Funny thing, everytime I turned to do some tweaking, I remembered to keep it all in check. ... that being said, don't expect your bed to be made when you come over...LOL
Have a safe trip home!

9:37 PM, September 12, 2008  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

Oh man! "Discussions" like that always leave me so uncomfortable!

What book are you reading? Or series I should say?
Stacie

5:17 PM, September 13, 2008  
Blogger EmBee said...

Hey Christy,
I think I'd require something akin to a sensory deprivation tank to be able to read without distraction.

Dear Santa,
Please tell me your not planning on watching 'Who will be Paris Hilton's NEW BFF?' And don't worry about the bed, but I KNOW you will!

Hey Stacie,
I was finally able to finish the David Sedaris novel 'Dress your family in Corduroy and denim'... I really enjoy listening to him on NPR's This American Life but I found the book sometimes funny but mostly depressing. The next book I started was Jodi Picoult 'Keeping Faith'... I was of course interrupted by the 2nd paragraph and haven't picked it up since.

11:39 AM, September 14, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home