Wednesday, February 18, 2009

What's on YOUR i-pod?

So I'm aware that people send around these blogging meme's (how do you pronounce that? My son says it's 'mee-mee'. For some reason I hate that pronunciation and pronounce it as 'mem' as in memoir, it's so much more elegant that way and I'm sure you're all quite aware of just how elegant [pronounced: el-ee-gaunt] I am.)

Okay, so anyway... There are all these 'Meme's' flying through cyber space regarding what people listen to on their i-pod. While I was walking this morning I decided I wanted the world (or the 3 people that read my blog) to be 'in the know' as to what I'm listening too.... Narcissistic much?... Nah!

Now, I'll remind you I haven't had my i-pod for very long so my play list is still rather brief and to be fair, I'm not listing EVERY song, just the ones I enjoy the most while exercising. You know, the ones that really get my ass moving, my heart pumping and my pony-tail bobbing. I should also add, I'm no runner. I'm a power walker. So the songs I find particularly enjoyable to walk to all have a pounding steady beat.

So here goes: Oh, by the way, the ones with the stars are particular favorites and yes, I know I have very diverse taste in music.

Let's get it started - Black Eyed Peas* (always a great start to a workout.)

Foreplay/Longtime - Boston (Takes a little to get going with Foreplay but as the crescendo builds it induces a 'Get your ass moving' kind of high... Oh, and this goofy video, cracks me up!)

Get this party started - Pink (not one of my favs, I've got it on there with Lady Marmalade but neither of them are particularly inspiring and the latter is too slow, I may take these two songs out of the mix. What I should do is add Because we Can from my Moulin Rouge soundtrack in their place.)

Pour some sugar on me - Def Leppard (ya know, I thought this would be good to walk to, driving beat and all but it's just too slow, so I usually skip it. I like the song though.

Don't bring me down - ELO (I had to have some ELO in their, this song from the 'Time' album is from the first concert I ever attended, on the first date with the man I married... Romantic, I know. Kind of a stupid video though.)

I don't care - Fall Out Boy **(Hell, I have the entire 'Folie a Deux' album and listen to it all the way through during my workout. Each song has a driving beat that keeps me pumped, except for 'What a catch/Donnie' but every workout needs a cool down tune.)

Arms race - Fall Out Boy **(Yep, I have the entire 'Infinity on High' cd in there too.)

Love Today - Mika (Might as well make the deepest descent into geekdom by adding this one. Actually, I should just admit I've got the whole album on there too, but the only ones I listen to for the workout are Grace Kelly, Relax & Big Girls You are Beautiful... Of course!)

Now just so I can have the chance to redeem myself and my taste in music... Here's my all time fav:

Black Betty - Ram Jam*** (I can hit replay over and over on this song and keep goin' strong with every listen.)

Funk 49 - The James Gang (this is more of a 'truckin' song, so I don't play it often, but I like it!)

I'd really like to set up an i-tunes account but my husband is terrified I'll squander away our life savings .99 cents at a time... But here's a list of songs I'm compiling which I'd like to add to my workout repertoire:

Are you gonna be my girl - Jet

Ballroom Blitz - The Sweet (There are few songs more grin inducing than the beginning of this one... "Are you ready Steve?".... "Ah-huh"... "Andy?".... "Yeaaah"... "Mick?".... "Oh-kay".... "Alright fellas, let's GOooooooooo!")

Lose Yourself - Eminem (Maybe the beat is too slow but it's driving and a message of taking it on despite the hardship.)

So what's on YOUR i-pod? Got any suggestions I should add to my list?

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Katy said...

Pink's new song, So What, is KILLER for working out to. At least it was the two times I've worked out in the last six months...

2:07 PM, February 18, 2009  
Blogger EmBee said...

Yeah, I can see that being a good one thanks!... And hey, Fire up that i-pod girl.

P.S. Gotta go check and see if you've posted about Vegas yet. I was thinking maybe you all ran away and decided to never come home.
:-)

2:26 PM, February 18, 2009  
Blogger kiddiesandkitties said...

I've got my country mix, "Youre gonna miss this" (makes me cry, lol) "Ticks", "redneck yacht club, Good Directions etc. Daughtry's Daughtry album, Matchbox 20's Exile on Mainstream, One of my favorites is Big black horse and a cherry tree, thats a good workout tune, Jason Mraz's I'm yours & the remedy, Pinks So What (yeah, me too) amd Katy Perrys "I kissed a girl" that one is just fun. I listen to my ipod when I'm nodding to sleep at my desk, wakes me right up!

10:26 PM, February 18, 2009  
Blogger EmBee said...

Hi K&K,
A song that might make me cry probably wouldn't be ideal walking material but you did get me thinking about a couple of Country songs I have buried around here somewhere... I've got 'Redneck Woman' by Gretchen Wilson... Hmmm, I'll have to take a listen to see if that's got the right beat. I've also got a Rascal Flatts cd, which might have some potential.

I've got some Matchbox 20 too, again I'll have to check and see if any of the songs have the right walking rhythm. I have a terrible memory for music.

And HEY! I've got K.T. Tungstall's cd with 'Cherry tree' on it... That's a perfect tune.

See, I KNEW this post was a good idea. Thanks so much for sharing and I hope maybe I'll see you tonight at sketti.
:-)

12:09 PM, February 19, 2009  
Blogger Chris said...

My Ipod is way too embarrassingly random to admit. I've got hard core stuff all the way to jazz and musical numbers.

But for working out, I love Linkin Park.

6:48 PM, February 19, 2009  
Blogger EmBee said...

Chris,
You don't think my selections were random?

I'm no jazz enthusiast (lacks a driving beat) but I DO like Linkin Park.

8:53 AM, February 20, 2009  
Blogger lime said...

well if you can cop to having all of fall out boy i can cop to having 2 complete albums from black eyed peas on mine. ;)

how many suggestions do you want though? i have over 1400 songs on mine.

10:55 AM, February 20, 2009  
Blogger EmBee said...

Lime,
BEP has some great slamming tunes, I wouldn't be embarrassed by that... But as you can see by my list, I'm not embarrassed by much.

And 1400 SONGS???
You must keep your i-pod on shuffle because I could never work my way through that much music. How 'bout you just list your favorite body shakin' get 'er done tunes. You don't have to add Prince's Kiss though because I'm already well aware that's on you fav list.
:-)

11:53 AM, February 20, 2009  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

The ones I have in my top five that I often hit repeat for are:

Heartbeats: Jose Gonzales this one gets me started at a pace that I can maintain, otherwise I start out too fast and burn out quick.

Snow (Hey-oh) Red Hot Chili Peppers

Paralyzer: Finger 11 (I think?)

Wake Up Call: Maroon 5

I also have some harder stuff like Marilynn Manson :This is the new shit and personal jesus
and of course my Beloved Billy Idol!

and who can forget I will Survive by Gloria Gaynor?

I'm going to add the Rocky music on there for my marathon...I think I need it!

I love some of your choices...I'm goign to add those as well!
Stacie

3:42 PM, February 25, 2009  
Blogger EmBee said...

Stacie, Paralyzer & Wake-Up Call... 2 very good reasons for me to get an i-tunes account.

Thanks!
:-)

1:30 PM, February 26, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home