Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Sinister Snow People

When my son was a very wee lad, his dad decided to create a very special surprise for him. It was a snowy evening, one of the first my son would remember, though not quite the way my husband intended him to remember it. You see, my husband had the wonderful idea to create a snowman for his son, not just any snowman, a SURPRISE snowman!

While my son played away in the family room, my husband spent a good half-hour on the deck creating a 5 1/2 foot tall snowman. He gave it gum ball seed eyes, a carrot nose, a large smile, twigs for arms and a jaunty hat. He placed his creation just outside our kitchen window. When his surprise was completed, he had me carry Zak over to the kitchen window as he stood outside and pointed out the new friend. The problem? Dad didn't anticipate, actually neither of us anticipated the reaction we received because when Zak saw Dad's surprise, he screamed in terror and not so much flew into my arms but launched his entire body over my shoulder and nearly down my back. I think he cried for the next hour and it was days before he would go anywhere near the kitchen window again, despite the fact we took him outside to show him the stranger was simply made of snow.

Did Dad's surprise have a lasting effect? You bet, our son was afraid of windows at night for at least the next 7-10 years. His greatest fear is still home invasion. My guess this all has something to do with the gift his dad created for him when he was small. Poor Dad, how could he have known?

Tonight, my daughter tried to get him back with THIS surprise:


Isn't she lovely? I think it's a she.


Did my daughter manage to scare her Dad? Well no, but he DID have a good laugh and we were sure to put my son at ease before we led him over to the window.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

thanks for the heads up and advice - no snowmen surprises for Charley :)

oh and boy did you get a lot more snow then we did!!

7:23 AM, February 04, 2009  
Blogger Chris said...

That is a hilarious story, although I do feel bad for your son....and your hubby too. Just trying to do something good and you scar your child for life, sheesh! ha ha

Love the Snowperson. You might be right, it might be a female but there's also a distinct resemblance to Don King, the boxing promoter:O

7:59 AM, February 04, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This made me laugh til I cried. Poor Zak - y'all have scarred him for life...

8:27 AM, February 04, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG--that's the BEST! What an awesome snowman (snow woman?) That's too funny. It reminds me of all of the bright ideas I've had over the years to make something "picture perfect" for my kids (to make up for what I didn't have or get to experience) only to have it turn out NOT so picture perfect. sigh

9:15 AM, February 04, 2009  
Blogger lime said...

i LOVE the snowgirl. but aw, poor zak. i can totally see that scene.

9:57 AM, February 04, 2009  
Blogger EmBee said...

Carrie, Always there to help! And ya, the storm was kind of localized we got roughly 2 inches, whereas Newark got only a dusting... But I hear Philly received 6-8 inches.

Chris, I once ate at the same restaurant with Don King and yeah, I kinda see the resemblance.
Also, that was just one of many scars I'm afraid... Wait 'til I tell you the story about his trip to Disneyworld at 16 months old, when he was terrified of bubbles... Do you have ANY idea how many Disney attractions featured bubbles, back in the 90's?

Aw Amy, You're just too easy.

Hi Christy, Maybe it would be easier if we just didn't try to hard.
:-)

Lime, wasn't she cute!
She's gone now though, Sarah helped the dog attack her and reduce her to a pile of snow sludge.
:-(

11:22 PM, February 04, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home