Thursday, May 14, 2009

Our 5:41 am Visitor

Christy said we should start our own Audubon Society around here, perhaps she's right.

The noise is deafening, it started yesterday at 5:41 am.

Seems we have an amorous woodpecker in our neighborhood and he's spreading the word of his virility on our rain gutter. We heard him over the weekend but it didn't cause too much of a stir because he picked a better hour for his mating call and he wasn't using OUR house. However, yesterday at 5:41 am he began his head ramming cadence... The PECKER! My husband was already up for work, in the kitchen, eating breakfast at the time. Even though I was jarred awake by the racket, bleery eyed and mostly oblivious, I chuckled to myself when I heard him open the door to the deck, step outside and utter the most hilarious gutteral, non-sensical, noise I'd ever heard come out of him, it was part whoop, part hoot, part howl and part roar Then he did what any slightly insane homeowner who's trying to protect his domain would do... He threw ice at the woodpecker. I tell you, THAT'S giving him the whatfor! Because that damn bird flew away and wasn't heard from again...


UNTIL, this morning AGAIN at 5:41 am. Does this bird wear a watch? Probably because I'd called him at work and made fun of the noise he made yesterday, my husband did without the threatening holler this morning, but I believe I heard another ice shower against the house. It seems to work though because only two bone rattling pecks, then the ice and that bird is outta here!

That pecker-head better not come back tomorrow because who knows what my husband will throw at him next time?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

did he come back today?

8:07 AM, May 15, 2009  
Blogger Chris said...

Sounds like a machine gun going off, doesn't it?

Here, we have some very small wood peckers that like to peck holes into our EFIS (fake stucco facade) and make their nests because it's insulated. Each year we end up paying to have 3-4 1" holes filled in. I hate those peckers.

8:22 AM, May 17, 2009  
Blogger Christy said...

Although I can appreciate why you wouldn't want to be woken up at such an ungodly hour, we don't have the opportunity to see many woodpeckers up close and personal around here (they're pretty elusive but we can hear them from time to time) so you should count yourself lucky...I see a wildlife sanctuary in your future!

9:35 AM, May 19, 2009  
Blogger EmBee said...

Hi Carrie,
Nope, I think that ice did the trick... or the scary yell, heh!

Chris, Much bigger problem for you. I'll make sure Christy reads your comment. She seems to think Woodpeckers are a glorious thing to behold. What she doesn't know is you rarely get the chance to view the pesky peckers, while they're wreaking their havoc.

Hey Christy... See above!
:-)

9:00 PM, May 19, 2009  
Blogger lime said...

the house i grew up in had two giant leafy trees across the street where scads of birds would roost just before dawn and chirp in a a deafening chorus to wake us all. but the woodpecker on the rain gutter. aaaack.

8:44 AM, May 21, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home