Monday, November 08, 2010

Crazy Heart

'Computer Boy'.... My first born.... My 'Boy'.... is preparing to apply to a school.

A school on the other side of the WORLD!!! Okay, maybe I exaggerate a bit but we live in Maryland and his choice?.... DigiPen in Redmond, Washington.

(Enter Chandler impression here) I mean, CAN he GET any further from home?

Regardless, next week he and I will be flying to Seattle to check out the school, attend the Open House and get a 'feel' for the area, housing situation and all the pieces of the puzzle we'll need to discover and figure how to fit together, for living life thousands of miles from home.

It sounds a lot like I'm thinking in the 'When' instead of the 'If' but that's because 'Computer Boy' has spent the last several months researching schools and he's determined to do whatever it takes to get accepted to THIS school.

What does this mean for me, the Mom? My heart is all over the place... Thrilled beyond belief for the possibilities the future holds for my 'boy'... Nervous! I mean, what if he blows a hole in his other lung 2800 miles from home? But the one thing that keeps spinning around in my brain, the one thing that both thrills me and terrifies me is the fact that following the 4 yrs. of rigorous education in RTIS (Real Time Interactive Simulation), he'll be snapped up for employment, the same 2800 miles from home, because Seattle is 'home' to the computer gaming industry.... I see frequent flier miles in our future.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Katy said...

Digipen is AWESOME according to the college-age folks I've talked to 'round here. Flying cross country sucks donkey balls - maybe you could join him on the West coast? No/very very little snow!!! :)

Good luck. I'm taking the ostrich approach to college-shopping. *It's not really gonna happen, she's not really gonna grow up and leave, nah-nah-nah*

10:36 PM, November 08, 2010  
Blogger lime said...

wow! best of luck to him...maybe time to get a card with air miles as a bonus so you can start on tickets now.

9:50 AM, November 09, 2010  
Blogger EmBee said...

Hey Katy, I've heard it's pretty AWESOME! Whenever Computer Boy speaks of it, he does so with a big sloppy grin on his face and stars in his eyes. And yes, I'm not looking forward to the Loooonnnggg day that awaits us next week. We're flying from Baltimore via Phoenix to get to Seattle (roughly 11 hrs!)

As for that ostrich approach? Better watch out, time sneaks up and bites you right on the ass while you've got your head in the ground.

Lime, Thanks for the Luck. We've got about 4 months of playing the waiting game. He's confident he'll have the math licked and his essays written in stone before the Feb. 1st submission deadline. 'Til then, all I can do is sit back and fret.

11:52 AM, November 10, 2010  
Blogger Mother Theresa said...

New here. I found my way over from Lime's. Good luck to your son, and I hope the lung thing doesn't happen again, but it happened quite some time ago, so it probably won't happen again. I've had it happen three times, one right after the other, had surgery on both lungs and it's been over 20 years since the last one. I moved to Spain soon after the last episode...and after reading this, I can imagine what my mom must have thought. But I just ran off blissfully on my adventure, never thinking twice...and that's what kids have to do.

4:12 AM, November 11, 2010  
Blogger EmBee said...

Hi Mother T, Thanks so much for wandering over... And thanks for sharing your lung issue. It sure comes as a shock when that first lung collapses. My son also had the surgery and fortunately only experienced issues with the right side. We're keeping our fingers crossed that's the end of the lung issues. Congrats to you now being worry free.

"That's what kids do."... Yep, and like I said, I'm really excited for him but... I'll always be his mom.

4:52 PM, November 11, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home