Monday, June 12, 2006

LPG 'yeAh'

Yesterday was FAMILY day!

In an effort to expand the kids horizons we went to Havre de Grace, (pronounce it however you like but I think it sounds like 'have ruh day grahz') Maryland to see the LPGA Tournament.

Ladies, if you've never been on a golf course before let me tell you that they are perhaps the most beautiful places on earth. Picture if you will... Rolling green hills and valleys... Gently babbling brooks... Flowers, Ponds, Trees, Birds, Butterflies and Dragonflies. All this beauty and the main focus is hitting a little white ball with a metal stick and trying to get into a small hole hundreds of yards away. Somehow though, when you're in the midst of the excitement of a tournament... With a group of championship players, who are ALL women... You just can't help being drawn into the excitement. Golf?... Exciting??? Well, ya... It kinda' is. Then there were all the tv cameras, booms and microphones to add to the thrill of it all... And a blimp. I was drooling over all of the digital cameras the press carried around (my son and I noted that they were mostly Nikon & Canon)... The size of the lenses these guys use are unbelievably huge! I could only imagine that some of them were over compensating for something they were lacking somewhere else.

My husband has always been working the angle of getting our daughter into golf. He thinks if 'Tiger Woods' dad could do it than so can he. He thinks she's a better mark then our son because she's so darned competitive (hmmm? Wonder where she got that from?) So yesterdays tournament was an exercise in coersion... "Look there honey, isn't it nice?...You could be on beautiful courses like this all of the time!"..."You've already got a great swing and I could caddy for you!"... "Do you know how many turtle tanks you could buy with the money these girls make?" (that one got her attention.)

Truth is, if my daughter did make the grade to become a professional golfer the commentary would sound something like this... "Miss Blystone is addressing the ball for a birdie putt... If she makes this shot she wins the title and.... Uh, just a moment... Miss Blystone is walking off the green... uh, where is she going? I don't believe it folks but Blystone just walked into the creek and snatched up a giant bullfrog which she is now carrying back to show her caddy... Never in the history of golf have we ever witnessed anything quite like this!"

Maybe my husband should look into the 'Frog Jumping Competition' circuit... Because I think her expertise can take her really far there... I just don't think the money is near as good and I doubt she'd need a caddy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home