Friday, July 28, 2006

Curse you ACME brand cleanser!!!

When I grocery shop I'm usually torn between purchasing the cheaper generic or store brands vs. the more expensive label brands. If it's something like a food item such as cheese or ice cream I'll usually pay the extravagant amount and buy what I know. If it's something like paper goods... such as paper towels or tissues... I'll always pay for the thicker ply ie. Bounty, Kleenex... And I NEVER, EVER scrimp on toilet paper... Only the softest is good enough for the delicate posteriors of my family.

However, when it comes to something like powdered cleanser.... pfffft! Why pay 15 or even 18 cents more for something I'm just going to use to scour out a toilet or a sink? So that's why I bought the store brand cleanser at the local ACME... Yes, for those of you who don't live in the mid-atlantic region of the U.S.... Our local grocery store is named ACME... You know, as in Wile. E. Coyote and the Roadrunner. One wonders why anyone would want to name a store after a cartoon factory that makes sub-standard merchandise... My guess is that the cartoon was created AFTER the grocery chain.... In fact, it was probably created because of this particular grocery store chain!

Case in point... I grabbed my can of ACME cleanser yesterday in order to clean the bathroom... And you know the little sticker they put on the top of the canister to cover the four sifting holes?... You know the one... That little lable that has a small pull tab and simply lifts right off? Well... It seems that on the ACME brand of cleanser their particular little sticker isn't made of the same easy lift adhesive that the more expensive brands use... No, the ACME brand sticker bonds to the top of a cleanser canister with the strength of Super Glue (the non-generic brand)... This means that as you're trying to get your bathroom clean you must first stop! Remove the plastic gloves from your hands! Pick, Pick, Pick... With whatever finger nails you have at said lable! Only manage to remove a portion of said lable so that only 2 of the sifting holes are partially uncovered! Vigorously shake the canister over the sink in order to remove the small amount of ACME brand cleanser that will sift through 2 partially uncovered holes! Curse wildly and wonder to yourself why you didn't just spend the extra 15 or 18 cents and buy the brand with the easy open tab and swear to yourself that you will NEVER shop at ACME again!!!

P.S. I had taken pictures of the ACME cleanser can of which I've described above... But my digital card reader broke... I think it may also be a generic brand but I didn't buy it at ACME.

2 Comments:

Blogger thethinker said...

You grocery shop exactly like my mom, except for the fact that she does buy the store brand toilet paper sometimes. Now I can go tell her, "Only the softest is good enough for the delicate posteriors of our family!"

5:39 PM, July 28, 2006  
Blogger (M)ary said...

well, at least you got a blog posting out of the experience (-:

i use baking soda and white vinegar to clean my sinks and tub.

8:12 PM, July 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home