Monday, July 24, 2006

For the love of Boxes...

I have a thing for boxes... I'm obsessed... I can't let them go... I save them, hoard them even and the trouble is... I don't have enough space for them all.

Why do I NEED them? Well, I just MIGHT need to wrap something or ship something off somewhere and what do I do if I can't find a box to fit said item in?

Now I'm not talking about just ANY kind of box... I'm talking about the thick, firm, type with the sturdy cardboard sides. The kind that will hold up in any situation... Stuffed in the back of a van... Holds strong even when a larger, heavier box is set upon it... One that the wrapping paper forms a nice crease around all the edges. In fact I'm a wrap fanatic... I have almost as much wrapping paper as I do empty boxes. Because there's nothing quite as wonderful as giving a gift that's not only thoughtful but also makes the recipient pause and give a wistful sigh before having to open such a lovely object. Funny thing though, I'm rarely as meticulous with the wrapping of the gifts I bestow on my immediate family as I am with those I give to friends. Why is that? Why do I save the best for guests? Guests always seem to get the cleanest house... The best meals... The 'good' china... The sparkly personality. Why do I always save the best for the guests?

Anyway, I digress... So I've got all these boxes (and wrapping paper) and I finally came up with the bright idea of breaking the boxes down and storing them on their sides in an open bin... I've got so much more storage room now... I think I'll have to keep my eye out for more boxes!

8 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

lol, my husband thinks i am nuts with regard to boxes. though i'm not quite as manic as you. also, i never seem to have paper.l lots of times i wrap boxes in the old funny papers. lol

4:15 PM, July 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, you are not alone. Jon is the king of box hoarders. He even brings home the big computer boxes from the phone co. where he works. All this was way before we decided to more. It got worse then. I have never been more delighted (mmmmm, well almost never) than when we began the unpacking process and started taking empty boxes to the builder's garbage bins. We didn't even break them down. I got a sick sort of glee in my heart when I saw each and every one go. The good news is we're not done yet. Jon always said he was getting them in case we wanted to send something to my Louisiana family. Hell, I couldn't afford to send the darn box EMPTY - some were soooo heavy. Anyhow, I'm thrilled to see he's not alone in his fetish. Now wrapping paper - that's MY thing. I love to wrap gifts!

12:52 AM, July 25, 2006  
Blogger EmBee said...

You know Lime... With the right ribbon that can be REALLY cute!

10:21 AM, July 25, 2006  
Blogger EmBee said...

Jon and I... Box hoarding soul mates... Who knew?

I have to wrap a gift for a party this weekend and I'm thinking I need a new pattern of paper to work with... So off to the store for more pretty paper!

It's an illness I tell you!

10:24 AM, July 25, 2006  
Blogger (M)ary said...

i took a class once using the inside of boxes for collages.

so, now i collect unusual boxes for possible future use in my so called art work.

ps i also love HAT BOXES.

7:48 PM, July 25, 2006  
Blogger EmBee said...

M... You're not trying to tempt me with yet another reason to hang on to boxes are you?... How positively evil of you! >:->

8:13 PM, July 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boxes...boxes and more boxes. I love boxes.

10:06 AM, July 26, 2006  
Blogger EmBee said...

It's always nice to know that I'm not alone in a world of insanity... Thanks Marsha!

1:30 PM, July 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home