Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Waiting for answers...

I sent the following e-mail to the guys at Pet Fish Talk and hoped to catch their internet broadcast show today, to see if any or all of my questions were addressed. Sadly I missed it and now I'm sitting here wondering and waiting for answers... I hate waiting for things... Especially answers to intriguing questions!

It seems that you can listen to recorded broadcasts of the show a couple of days after it has aired live... So I guess I'll just have to wait a couple of days... Did I mention I hate waiting?

btw: I don't mean this as a slam against the guys at Pet Fish Talk but I seriously can't believe that I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for an internet broadcast of a discussion about fish and yet I've NEVER even seen one episode of 24! I could seriously screw up the Nielsen Rating System!
Via e-mail:
Hi Guys,

Ran across your site trying to find some information on the type of fish my daughter surprisingly came to own.

My daughter owns a 'Painted Turtle' and we buy 'feeder' fish for it on a regular basis. The type of feeders we buy are 'Rosy Reds' and we purchase them from a local fish dealer 'Just Fish'.

The first batch of feeders we got included the fish you see pictured here. However, the turtle never ate this fish. We did notice early on that this fish looked quite different from the others but it became truly unique when it managed to stay alive long after the rest of the fish had been eaten. It seemed the turtle and the fish had forged a relationship and now they have lived compatibly in the same tank for roughly 3 months... By the way, the turtles name is 'Neville' and we named the fish 'Lucky' for obvious reasons.

We had assumed that 'Lucky' was a male until the day we found babies swimming around the tank! We weren't quick enough to save the babies before the turtle made a meal out of them but to our surprise a few weeks later 'Lucky' gave birth AGAIN! This time to 8 strapping young-un's and because my daughter witnessed them being born she was able to harvest them and put them in a separate bowl of water.

Okay, so here's the questions... And I have several.
1. What kind of fish is this?
2. Do you have any idea how it might have gotten mixed up with all the rosy feeders?
3. Could a rosy have bred with this fish?
4. Are or will the feeders impregnate lucky on a regular basis?
5. This may be a little out of your area of expertise but are there some fish that turtles just won't eat and is that why Lucky and Neville are living peacefully together?
6. There isn't any way that the fish could be breeding with the turtle right?... NAH!
7. Is this the weirdest thing you've EVER heard of?
8. The babies are currently living in a bowl without a filter but the water is being changed every few days and my daughter is currently feeding them finely chopped up turtle pellets which our turtle decided he didn't like very early on... Are we doing them any dis-service by raising them in this manner?
I can't wait to hear what sort of answers you have to these questions!

Thanks for your time!
Sincerely,
Margie Blystone (Mom)
S. Blystone (Daughter & Caretaker)
 Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

LOL, now I want to hear the answers to those questions. esp the one about cross species breeding!

makes me think of a friend whose boy shih-tzu/pug impregnates her girl pointer/labrador....i think a step stool had to be involved there.

10:23 PM, August 30, 2006  
Blogger EmBee said...

A pug & a lab going at it? Tricky business indeed! I'm guessing the lab was just bored and lay on the floor while the pug did all the work.

8:10 AM, August 31, 2006  
Blogger (M)ary said...

not to get rude, but have you seen mismatched human couples that have brought up the same question?

(Hm...he is so tall, she is so short...how do they **fill in the blank**???)

6:36 PM, August 31, 2006  
Blogger Carrie said...

Well Lucky looks just like one of the fish we have in our tropical tank. He (I think) is called a Mollie. Now what I am confused about is that they are tropical fish. Do you have a heater in Nevilles tank? If so that would explain that. They are livebearers...see this website for a lot of Mollie info http://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Mollies.htm and they have a gestation period of 4 weeks, so if she had the babies 4 weeks after you got her (or sooner) that would explain it, they probably knew she was a female at the fish store and moved her to another tank and you got her by accident (or purpose). Mollies are hardy tough fish and can get aggressive, that might be why Nelville won't eat her, or she might just not be one of his favorite foods. They do suggest to feed the babies some live food (or frozen) we give ours blood worms or krill, you buy it frozen and put it in the tank and it dissolves, they love it, but you will see Lucky grow a lot faster with this kind of food, so you might want to limit it for her and the babies. But definitely keep the babies apart b/c she might eat them. I hope this helps! Sorry I have been out of the loop for a few days, I have been swamped, I will get to your email after the rehearsal dinner Friday and before the wedding on Sunday!

4:57 AM, September 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky is a molly, they are live bearing fish. the females have a compartment where they can store the male's sperm and can give birth 3-4 times without the male being present anymore. I breed guppies (another species of live bearing fish) and they do the same thing all the time

10:30 AM, September 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home