Monday, April 02, 2007

15 Minutes of Fame

A woman in our part of the country made the front page of 'The Cecil County Whig' (yes, 'The Whig'... Our county apparently doesn't recognize that the 'Whig' party went out with Colonial times and therefore only reports items such as today's headline regarding a replication of John Smith's voyage [right down to the boat he used] during his exploration of the Chesapeake Bay - REALLY, I kid you not!)... Back to my story -

Last week a woman made the front page of the paper with a full color photo of herself and her truly remarkable dog who saved her life by, get this, giving her the 'Heimlich Maneuver'! A dog! And not just ANY dog but a dog whose vet was quoted as saying, "I really feel like it might have been some kind of miracle, because Toby isn't what you would call the most-trained of dogs, In fact, he's about the last dog I would expect to do something like this." - Sounds like Dr. Doug Foreman was describing one of the animals our family has owned... Dogs that are respectfully referred to as 'Not the brightest of bulbs or One of the duller knives in the drawer.'

Listen to the MIRACULOUS details of the event which SAVED the life of Ms. Debbie Parkhurst...

When a small piece of apple she was eating became lodged in her windpipe, Ms. Parkhurst began beating her chest, which in turn attracted the attention of Toby, a dog she and her husband rescued from a trash bin in 2005. Toby, who may or may not have known what he was doing, stood on his hind legs and gently pulled Parkhurst to the floor, she said. The dog then perfromed a version of the Heimlich by jumping up and down on Parkhurst's chest, a move that successfully dislodged the apple from her windpipe. "As soon as I started breathing, he stopped and began licking my face, as if to keep me from passing out," she said.

Now this story didn't make it onto the front page of our paper just one day, but TWO days in a row... Day two explained that both the 'Late Show with David Letterman' and 'Good Morning America' were interested in the story and had invited Ms. Parkhurst and her 'Miracle Dog' Toby to be guests in a spot on their respective shows. Ms. Parkhurst's response, "It's all so overwhelming, I'm very shy, but I'm so proud of Toby, we just might do it."

Shy, did she say SHY? Is it normal for a shy person to alert the media when she's home alone and chokes on an apple?

Excuse me, I'm heading out to the pet store now to buy myself a monkey so I can call the 'Cecil County Whig' next week and report that it just flew out of my butt... Then, maybe I'll get a free trip to New York... Of course, I AM kinda shy.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

lol, i have read the cecil county whig and giggled over it's anachronistic name.

lemme know how that monkey flyin outta yer butt goes for ya. i wanna be sure to catch you on letterman.

2:36 PM, April 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home