Monday, December 17, 2007

Can't get that tune out of my head...

I've been listening to Christmas music all weekend... All day Saturday while cooking and preparing for our holiday party and all day Sunday while I wrapped gifts for shipping and addressed Christmas cards.

Since SO much holiday music has filled my head the last couple of days I decided to compile a list of my MOST Favorite and LEAST Favorite Christmas Tunes. Some of you may agree, some may disagree but nonetheless here they are:

Most Favorite
I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas - The Drifters version

Where Are You Christmas? - Faith Hill

O Holy Night - Josh Groban

Mele Kalikimaka - Don Ho (It's just so much fun to say, let alone sing!)


Least Favorite
ANYTHING by Celine Dion

Same Old Lang Syne - Dan Fogelberg
(I know, it's mean to dis the guy after he just died and all, but that song is so depressing... Like the line, 'Said she married her an architect, who kept her warm and safe and dry, she'd like to say she loved the man, but she didn't like to lie.' I'd rather not listen to stories about fractured marriages when I think about Christmas. I like his other music though.

It's the Holiday Season/Santa Claus is Comin' - Andy Williams
Is it Andy Williams that sings the song with the lyrics: 'It's the holiday season, so hoop de doo and dickory dock, don't forget to hang up your sock, cause he's comin' down the chimney down.'
(I'm sorry but ANY song with the lyric 'hoop de doo' simply must be put out of it's misery.)

But the very worst, the one song that makes me lunge for the power button on the stereo has got to be...

Christmas Shoes - Don't know who sings it because I never leave the stereo on long enough to find out!
(Yes, the song that regales us with the tragic tale of a man who's disillusioned with Christmas. However, on Christmas eve he happens upon a poor, bedraggled boy who doesn't have enough money to buy his sick mother a pair of Christmas shoes to wear when she meets Jesus in heaven. My son said yesterday (just after he lunged for the power button on the stereo), "What? is there some sign in heaven that says, NO SHIRT, NO SHOES, NO JESUS!" I have friends who think I'm a cold-hearted bitch for hating this song. Frankly, I just hate the idea of someone concocting a song in order to tug my heartstrings. There are plenty of circumstances people deal with throughout the year that make me want to cry... I don't need some mook with a pen, a piano and a penchant for the dramatic contriving a story to try to make me weep at Christmas... This song is sappy'er than a Vermont maple orchard.)

Now I simply must share the third category I have for Christmas music and that's the WTF? List.
My Christmas 2008 WTF? List is comprised of only two songs but I'm sure you'll agree...

WTF?
Dominic the Italian Christmas Donkey

I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas

These are two songs which shouldn't be on any stations play list.

So what are your favorite holiday tunes?... Least favorite? Or another to add to the WTF? Perhaps you'll have some to add to my lists.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

lol, now i am going to be humming mele kalikimaka all day, but that's ok because it IS a fun song.

i have to agree with you AND your son on the christmas shoes song. call me hearltess but it's contrived.

and dominic the christmas donkey makes me bleed from the ears. thank god i haven't heard it yet this year.

8:14 AM, December 18, 2007  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

I have to agree with most of your selections ESPECIALLY Christmas Shoes! It was bad enough when it was just an email spam but to make that tripe into a song was just reprehensible!
I'm not familiar with the songs on your WTF list, but just the titles alone tell me they belong there!

I have always loved "do they know it's Chrismas" I think it was one of those 80's mixed artist concoctions, but I can't remember. I also love that one by wham..can't remember the name of it either..
geez..I'm pretty forgetful lately..even for me!
Stacie

12:03 AM, December 21, 2007  
Blogger EmBee said...

Sometimes Lime I'll just find myself in the middle of the day saying "Mele Kalikimaka" to an empty room, just because it's so much fun to roll of the tongue... Hmmm? Maybe I should take up Hawaiian?

Stacie, I'm pleased that both you and Lime agree with 'The Christmas Shoes' because after explaining to one of my friends how much I detested the song she believes me to be the spawn of Satan.

Also quite familiar with 'Do they know it's Christmas' (I've only heard it played roughly 38 times in rotation over the past 4 days. I remember having a huge argument with my brother in law in 1981 because he thought it was stupid and it made me cry.

And the Wham song you're thinking of is... 'This Christmas I gave you my heart, the very next day you gave it way...' Great! Now I'll be humming THAT tune for the rest of the day.

8:25 AM, December 21, 2007  
Blogger Whiskeymarie said...

The Waitresses "Christmas wrapping" is one of my all-time faves, and I agree with Stacie- "do they know it's christmas" will always have a special spot in my 80's heart.

9:21 PM, December 27, 2007  
Blogger The Teacup Cottage said...

Have you heard the one about the child who waited for Santa and he didn't come but something was stuck in the chimney? Ugh! I don't know the name or who sings it, but dear God, how depressing to hear a child sing about Santa dying in the chimney.

12:03 AM, December 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home