Monday, December 10, 2007

Just Another Sunday Morning Breakfast... Yeah Right!

So yesterday we're sitting together as a family enjoying my husband homemade waffles and I decide to ask the following question:

"So, what's everyone got planned for today?"

I secretly wished that if each family member had their own agenda, I could spend my time catching up on the numerous holiday chores I've been adding to my growing list. If not, perhaps we could achieve conquering the list together... A lovely thought, dotcha think?

Yet, not 5 minutes after I asked the question my son clutched his chest and said, "Oh No, my chest... It REALLY hurts... Just *gasp* like last time.!" Last time was in May when he had complained to us about chest pain. It was after an entire day of us informing him it was most likely just gas and he should take another Tums, we ended up in the E.R. I finally got the inkling that something could be wrong during the wee hours of the morning. That's when we discovered that 30% of the poor boys lung had collapsed, aka Spontaneous Pnuemothorax... Yeah, I couldn't believe it either. Neither, did I want to believe it yesterday as he clutched at his chest... And being the 'Mother of the Year' that I am, I said, "Oh come on, surely this is just a gas pain or something, I mean you couldn't have ruptured your lung just eating waffles?" My husband said to me, "Maybe you should call the doctor." I began to disagree and argue that maybe we should just wait a half hour and see how he is, but instead I called the doctors service all the while making mental eye rolls. However, by the time the doctor on call got back to us (which was really soon) my son was growing more distressed and me along with him... Especially when the on-call doctor was adamant about getting him to the emergency room.

Sure enough, a 1/2 hour and an x-ray later the results were in that my son had experienced his second episode with a spontaneously partial collapsed lung in less a year. Thankfully, this episode righted itself on its own while we were in the hospital. He didn't have to be 'Tubed' this time and he only experienced a 10% collapse. It goes without saying that I NOW believe my son KNOWS what it feels like when his lung collapses... This I avow, I'll NEVER doubt him again!

So today was spent getting more x-rays and seeing a thoracic surgeon. We were told that after his first collapsed lung, the chances it could happen again were 30%... Now that he's endured a second episode his chances for a third go up to 90%. Since it would be a travesty for the poor kid to walk around OR even do something as seemingly innocuous as Eat Waffles and have his lung collapse it's been recommended that he have surgery to rectify the problem. I can't say I'm thrilled to think about my son going "under the knife" but he's thrilled he won't have to worry about spontaneously wicked bouts of chest pain.

And as for the rest of the week... I've learned my lesson, I'm not planning to ask ANYONE in this family what their plans are.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

oh my goodness, that is a scary thing to have happen once let alone twice and maybe again. surgery is scary too but i hope that can correct whatever the problem is and go without incident.

10:05 AM, December 11, 2007  
Blogger EmBee said...

Thanks Lime... You know with all the stress lately it's getting more difficult for ME to take a deep breath.

3:25 PM, December 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home