Thursday, March 27, 2008

A Number...


My husband turned 50 this week. A milestone? A half-way point? The beginning of the end? These and many other negative thoughts have plagued him during the months leading up to his birthday. As any good and loving wife I've been trying to dissuade all the negativity with light hearted comments such as, "How do you know this is a half-way point? You could step off a curb and get his by a bus tomorrow!"... I know, I'm quite the day brightener, aren't I.

I'm wondering when aging became so taboo in our society? The elders in a community used to be revered for their wisdom and all they could teach the younger generations. Today everyone wants to deny the fact their aging. Fill in wrinkles with collagen... Hide the gray... Wear a rug... Why are we so obsessed with youth? My youth pretty much sucked and I'm proud of the insights and maturity I've gained in the last 20 yrs. or so.

I'll be 44 this year... Still a few years away from 50, and I wonder if I too, will begin to freak out or just feel a mild sense of discomfort over the loss of my youth? Or will I continue to value the experiences which have made me the person I am?

I've suggested to my husband that he start a list. A list of a 100 things he'd like to do before he dies. Not a new idea, I know... Also rather bleak to even mention the 'D-word'... But how can you really know what you want out of life if you don't think about what it is you really WANT? It's been said that the best way to hold yourself to something or implement a plan is to put it down on paper. I really like the idea so I'm going to list my first ten items today, right here, right now:

1-10 of 100 Things I'd like to Do with my Life
(Sounds so much more positive than 100 things I want to do before I die.)

1. Travel through New Zealand.
2. Decorate a Wedding Cake.
3. Walk through the Giant Redwoods.
4. Plant a gorgeous bed of flowers in my backyard.
5. Paint a mural... somewhere!
6. Cook a truly gourmet meal.
7. Learn to swim freestyle without feeling like I'm going to drown.
8. Try Stand-Up Comedy at an open mic night.
9. Ride in a Zorb
10. Organize or enter a car rally.

Note: Coming up with 10 things is really difficult, it's going to be a very tough task to think of 100. However while trying to come up with ideas I realized there are several things I've accomplished which I'm pretty proud of... Here are 10 of them:

1. Completed a professional decorating assignment, which I got paid for.
2. Sold a painting.
3. Attended a National Convention
4. Taught a class.
5. Sold personal artwork.
6. Gave a humorous speech at a conference, which left at least 50 women laughing out loud.
7. Participated in an hour long radio interview.
8. Created a clay sculpture of which I'm quite proud.
9. Decorated a shop window display.
10. Served as President of a civic organization.

Hope this inspires you to consider not only things you wish to accomplish but take pride in things you've already achieved.

Note: I realize the candles on my husband's birthday 'cake' make it appear as though I totally ripped him off as it pertains to celebratory 'goodies'... However, just off camera is the most beautiful, made from scratch, lemon meringue pie, you've ever laid eyes on and if I'd put the candles on it, they would've compromised the aesthetics of that gorgeous pie.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

you could have been really snarky and put his candles in bran muffins. hehehehe. i am evil.

i turn 40 this year and i am dreading it.

i do like both your lists though. new zealand and the zorb sound like great fun!

12:08 PM, March 27, 2008  
Blogger EmBee said...

Bran muffins... heh!

I'll be nice and not mention that at 40... Well, that's when my body started going to hell... Ooops, sorry, I mentioned it anyway.

Zorb seems safer than swinging from a zipline... You kinda convinced me to stay away from that Lime.

2:18 PM, March 27, 2008  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

I LOVE your Bucket List! and if you ever do standup, you soooo have to let me know when and where!

I made a list about 10 or more years ago. I've been trying to find it. What I should really do, is make a new list and compare the two when I do find it.

Stacie

6:35 AM, March 28, 2008  
Blogger EmBee said...

Stacie, I think that's a fabulous idea... I hope you post it!

9:05 AM, March 28, 2008  
Blogger Whiskeymarie said...

A totally doable list, I think.
I panic every birthday (this year- 37), but this year I really want to set some goals- maybe I need a list of my own...

3:32 PM, March 30, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home