Tuesday, June 17, 2008

All I Really Wanted...

The other day my daughter and I ran to the W to the M... That's right, Wal-Mart for a birthday gift. We parked near the garden center because most people heading to our local Wal-Mart don't seem particularly concerned about plants... The busiest section of the store are the grocery aisles, which is why I typically don't buy my groceries there. But I digress...

Anyway, as we made our way through the garden section we ran across a lovely patio set. Beautiful table, six stylish chairs. It was perfect! At $286 it was a steal! I however will not make a decision on anything over $100 without first consulting with my husband... Very soon I fear, it's going to be much more difficult to buy gas... I quit consulting with him over groceries, year ago. So my daughter and I decided this was the set to talk with dad about. Our current patio furniture can only be described as Mismatch-Urban-Tackiness-Less-The-Umbrella, which blew out of the table and into our neighbors yard so many times it became a twisted mass of wire and fabric... We finally chucked it at the end of the last summer season.

My friends, it's time to chuck the faded Rubbermaid chairs and the stained, crusty glass topped table that currently craps up my deck! So last night, following dinner we went out with our friends to look at the lovely patio set my daughter and I had spied on Saturday... IT.... WAS.... GONE! And in its place was a set, while equally as nice was on the hairy side of too big! So what next? Home Depot!... My husband said he'd seen a set there which had just been reduced... "Nice set but why is this swivel chair all twisted and bent out of shape?" I said... "Um, because it's crap!"... So it was off to Lowes... We walk into the store and see one set. The price tag suggested that only the Gottrocks Family shops at Lowes. Dejected, we walk out of the store and notice they have a section in front of the store, hidden in the dark, featuring more patio furniture. We note a couple possibilities but nothing that screams "PICK ME! PICK ME!" Then our friends suggest we check out 'K to the M'... So we schlepp through K-Mart. The size of our deck once again becomes an issue and my hopes of procuring a comfortable & classy patio set are dashed upon the rocks of despair (I know, I'm such a Sarah Bernhardt.)

Once we return home we all discuss putting on a new deck, adding to the existing deck, moving to a different house or the possibility of my husband building deck furniture. When the conversation led to a discussion of somehow swapping the sliding glass door to open from the opposite side... Well, it all just became too much for me. All I really wanted were comfy chairs, a clean table big enough to sit 6 and a fresh umbrella for shade. As is usually the case with these decisions, this time next year we'll still be sitting at the same tired table, in the same faded chairs.

My husband and I just may die surrounded by all the riches from decisions we're incapable of making.



















Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Chandra said...

I absolutely LOVED the last line. That's gold.

12:44 PM, June 17, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home