Tuesday, November 18, 2008

For all those crafters who like to play with ribbon...

Consider this a public service announcement to any crafter out there who's searching for a way to store reams of ribbon.

I neglected to count but I have a LOT of ribbon.

After my husband finished the new studio space for me, we sat around flummoxed as to how to neatly, conveniently and ideally store the scads of ribbon roles I've collected to create my card, paper and craft projects.

For the past few weeks we've been discussing dowel ideas, curtain rod holders and pipe systems and then, and THEN the other night we found THIS:

The Domestic Diva

Who has an entire post on ribbon storage and this novel idea:

MOUNTED HOLDERS

While my mind is in the Gutter, darling Martha is thinking vertical! Use Gutters to keep ribbons and trims organized. Have a lumberyard (or your local home improvement store) cut a half-round copper or plastic gutter to size and add gutter end caps.

An inspired solution and a trip to the Depot and here's the result:

A thing of beauty, don't you agree? And yes, I've filled up the entire length of gutter and plan to add another length just below this one because yes, I have MORE ribbon and these are currently packed rather tightly... So yep, more gutter and yes, my anal-retentive ways made it necessary to store my ribbon by ROYGBIV/Multi.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Katy said...

It is indeed a thing of beauty. Can you come and get my crafty-stuff organized please?

And it's only gutter mind worthy if you say Mounting, present tense is so much nastier than past tense...lol

9:50 PM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger Jon said...

Wow. I woke up this morning and prayed to the Ribbon Fairy that I'd find a blog post about ribbon. And here it is! Today's like Christmas and my birthday rolled into one! Thank you, Embee. Thank you.

p.s. It does look very nice :)

8:31 AM, November 19, 2008  
Blogger Nik said...

Ok , that has GOT to be the coolest little work area! What an awesome idea to use that gutter!

Congrats on an awesome room...AND solution to your ribbon problem.

9:21 AM, November 19, 2008  
Blogger EmBee said...

Katy, I knew I could count on you to clear up the 'Gutter' talk.

Jon, 'The Ribbon Fairy', Seriously? I thought you worshiped in the house of 'Floorening' and 'Basementation Reclaimation'... But if ribbon is they way you're gonna roll now, well glad I could oblige!
:-)

Thanks Nik, it is a really cool place to spend time being creative.

10:26 AM, November 19, 2008  
Blogger lime said...

very clever. and may i say i wept with joy to see it arranged in rainbow order.

10:50 AM, November 19, 2008  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

I have always wanted to employ this idea every since I saw it on Martha Stewart years ago...alas..I've never lived anywhere I had room to do it! Maybe next station!

And ps..after seeing your studio, I wonder why it is we haven't gotten together to create! Nevermind lunch someday, we need to play!
Stacie

3:19 PM, November 27, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home