Thursday, November 06, 2008

Little Time for Blogging

I've at last taken the time to load pictures into my laptop in order to illustrate a few of the things that kept me so busy throughout the month of October... Laying around for the last few days holding my throbbing head in despair ultimately left me bored enough to blog about my accomplishments BEFORE I got sick... Because daytime t.v. really, REALLY SUCKS and if it weren't for the Discovery Channel, I'd have to say the same for night-time television.

Anyway, in early October I was busy planning hostessing a luncheon following the Memorial Service for my husbands Aunt Carol. She passed away in February but was being interred at Arlington National Cemetery. Aunt Carol was to be the second Aunt in my husbands family to be buried at Arlington. She served as a WAC in WWII and a drill Sergeant. Family came into town at my Mother-in-law's, from as far away as Washington state. There were cousins from Florida, Virginia, New Jersey and friends from Ohio paying respects to Aunt Carol and a life well lived. I volunteered for not only the role of planning the luncheon but was also tapped as photographer for the day. Here are some pics of the service at Arlington:

Amid the rush of 27 people waiting to be fed, I managed to get one pic of the buffet table which I had fretted over getting beautifully laid out to honor Aunt Carol, who always agreed with me that it was totally worth it to splurge on the more expensive paper napkins. While we were down in the D.C. area for an extended period and since there was family visiting from out of town, we of course, had to visit the District. My daughter got this beautiful shot of the capitol that day.

On top of the planning for the Memorial I've also been busy with another project. Our small town has an event known as 'The Festival of Trees'. Last year I was on the planning and decorating committee and because I'm a glutton for punishment or just really bad at saying No, I'm heading up the decorating committee for this years event. The way it works is, local businesses purchase and (sometimes) decorate a tree. This year the trees will be on display at different locations throughout Main St. for a 4 week period. During which time a silent auction takes place. In mid-December a large Christmas party will take place on Main St. with a visit from Santa, Carolers & Free Horse drawn buggy rides. At that time the trees will be awarded to the highest bidders at auction. I had the bright idea that this might be an opportunity to showcase my paper art skills and have volunteered to do a 'Paper Treehouse Christmas Tree'... I've been working on ornaments in my 'Free (ha! ha!) Time' and have completed roughly 25 so far. However, this is what my studio looked like in early October:

Since October is also the month of my birthday my husband put hours of time and labor into creating a studio space in which I could be more organized and have not only miles of table space to work with but also proper lighting. It's difficult to tell from the pictures above just how dark the cave is in which I normally work because I had to use the flash on my camera so you could actually SEE the space. That would explain the number of lamps on my desk top.

Anyway, following a few weeks of studio upheaval and a lot of time invested i
n some serious organization, I'd like to show you my NEW studio space:

18 Feet of Table Top


Loads of Storage underneath.
And also Above.

And just look at all that beautiful light... This pic was taken without flash.

My husband is a genius and I, I'm SO fortunate and spoiled to be married to a man with carpentry skills. Now I just wish I felt good enough to get up off this couch and create something in my new studio.


Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Sheri said...

My best friends grandfather was buried in Arlington last fall. Talk about a beautiful, amazing, moving ceremony. And the buffet table . . . yum! Hope you feel better soon!

12:54 PM, November 06, 2008  
Blogger EmBee said...

Hi Sheri, thanks for stopping in and I know what you mean Arlington ceremonies are filled with so much meaning and respect. I've been to two of them and I always jump at the 21 gun salute... Especially this time because I was too busy taking pics to notice they were getting ready to fire.

6:37 PM, November 06, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about his aunt...that was great of you to help out like that--I'm sure it wasn't easy. :(

I LOVE YOUR STUDIO SPACE!!!!!!!! OMG I would love to have that--the organization is so exciting!! Can I come over & scrap book in there (yes, I'm a dork. I scrap book...although not much since blogging...okay, not at all since blogging.)

Your comment today was great! I feel the same way about all of it. That's why I quit SITS too. I thought it was a nice concept, and it did help me find a couple of new blogs to read, but I was tired of feeling obligated to comment when I didn't really feel a connection to the blogger or what they were writing about.

I almost always have some comment to offer when I read a blog, but I think it's b/c I usually find blogs from my commenters or from the blogrolls of other blogs I already read, so there's sort-of a built in relatablitiy there. I don't have to fake it.

9:50 AM, November 07, 2008  
Blogger EmBee said...

Hi Christy, any time you want to stop by and scrapbook, please do so... There's PLENTY of room now!
:-)

12:51 PM, November 07, 2008  
Blogger santamaker said...

Wow, wow and double wow! Man, you have it made! That is an awesome work space. Your hubby IS a genius! Now, you better get crackalacking!

6:37 AM, November 11, 2008  
Blogger EmBee said...

Santa, I HAVE been 'crackalackin' and I tell you what, it's the nicest possible space in the world to create because NOW I know where everything is!
:-)

8:37 AM, November 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home