Monday, November 24, 2008

The Mother of a 'Twilight' Addict

I don't know who she talked to or when...
Maybe she found out about it via the internet...
Regardless, she's now completely hooked on the idea of vampires and I guess wolves, because at some point they're supposed to figure into the story.

I'd heard Twilight mania was spreading like a disease but I thought we'd make it through untouched. My kids aren't often affected by pop-culture fads. Then my daughter started begging me to see the movie.

Really, I tried hard not to laugh when the brooding Edward walked onto the screen with his powdered white skin, manscaped eyebrows, bright pink lips, metro-sexual good looks and brooding attitude... But c'mon, how campy could this movie get? I thought surely my daughter would see through to all it's goofiness. Especially when Edward called Ella a 'Spider-monkey'... Seriously, what girl would find being referred to a primate, by her boyfriend, at all charming? Oh, and when he's in the sunlight, he seemed less sparkly or glistening and more like sweaty, which I'm sorry, kinda grossed me out.

Listen, up until I saw the movie on Saturday I knew ab-so-lutely NOTHING about Edward or Bella or any of the other characters my daughter now talks about like they're adored relatives. I'd only heard of the series through reading other bloggers discuss the series as 'crack-literature'... An idea that didn't exactly send me running out to the bookstore. However, now the girl child wishes to own the entire Twilight series NOW, right NOW, Can't hardly wait 'til Christmas NOW! And Oh God, when do I think the movie is going to be released to video? Do I think it'll be BEFORE Christmas? If so, can she please get it, oh please, oh please, oh please?

Is this what it feels like to be the parents of Wiggles Fans, Dora Adorers, High School Musical Madness or Hanna Montana Maniacs?

There is one plus side to this entire obsession. The girl child was SO desperate to see the movie a second time, she somehow convinced her brother to take her on Sunday. There's nothing like sibling kindness to bring about harmony in the home... Even if it does take the form of a laughable, brooding teen vampire story.

I can't wait until Saturday Night Live spoofs this flick. I want to see that almost as badly as my daughter wishes to see the movie again.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Salvation Amy said...

I had to look this up on Wikipedia thanks to you.

And Wow, just... Wow.

7:51 AM, November 25, 2008  
Blogger EmBee said...

Now I gotta go look up wikipedia's take on it.

8:11 AM, November 25, 2008  
Blogger Salvation Amy said...

You have to read about the book. I wonder if this was the Mystery Book from the talk-about. My favorite part is when he' mean to her because her blood smells too too delish.

10:43 AM, November 25, 2008  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

oh man, if you guys lived closer, *I'd* take her to see it again! I'm with your daughter on this one I was totally and irrevocably HOOKED. Though I will give you this..the movie was a bit cheesy in SOME places and they made Jasper WAY too Edward Scissorhandsey, and they didn't make Edward glittery enough in that scene where he took his shirt off and ...oh wait...
um...I'm not sure I'm supposed to feel this way about Edward, but I did look up the actor who plays him and he's legal, I made sure before I perved out and besides, Edward's not really 17, he's One Hundred and Seventeen! ...

:P

yeah...totally hooked over here. I'm going to do a post about it next week, my HUSBAND took me to see it. now there's true love! LOL

oh, and ps...I tagged you! :P

Happy Thanksgiving!
Stacie

12:27 PM, November 26, 2008  
Blogger EmBee said...

Haven't read the book yet Amy but if it's freakin' you out you might be interested to know it's written by a Mormon woman who said the idea for it came to her in a dream. The basic premise I understand, is to encourage chastity. Edward and Bella desperately want one another but they can't give into the desire or it will destroy them.

Hey Stacie, Yes... I can tell you are indeed a Twilight Fan. I went in knowing nothing about it and now my daughter has to keep telling me which one is Alice, which one is Jasper... "You know Mom, Jasper... the one with the 'pained' look on his face?" Oh yeah, I say and then I start laughing. I thought Alice looked just like a fairy character from an Amy Brown illustration.

Kudos to your husband for taking you to see it... So when do you think it'll be out on video?

3:01 PM, November 26, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home