Tuesday, June 09, 2009

On The Move...


For the past several nights I've had dreams I'm moving... Not, Moving... In the sense I'm gettin' down with the groove, but Moving... In the sense I'm packing boxes and that's a lot, A LOT of work! I tend to wake up more exhausted than when I went to sleep.

The other night in my dream I was so DONE with packing boxes and all the drudgery of it, I just broke down sobbing to my husband... I was sobbing so hard, I woke myself up as a result. Now, I don't know about moving like SOME people know about moving... I'm looking at you Stacie... But I'm well aware of just how much work is involved.

We moved 20 yrs. ago from California to the East Coast and while that move wasn't a great deal of physical work (the company paid for packers and movers.), the mental anguish of putting all your possessions, including your car, on a truck to be driven all the way across the U.S. leaves one a bit nervous... Crate up your 2 beloved dogs and stick 'em in a cargo hold on the plane that's taking you to your destination? Even more nervous... Hoping there are no glitches with the closing on the new house you're moving to? Stomach cramp inducing nervousness... And on top of all that my husband was starting a new job! Me? I just wanted to get pregnant, which worked by the way.... So yeah, that move was pretty intense.


It'll be 6 yrs. in September since our BIG move from Delaware (a mere 28 mile move.) I call that one the BIG MOVE because we did it mostly ourselves... There were no 'packers'... Which in a way is good because I really didn't need anyone boxing up my bedroom trashcan again, with the trash still inside... Oh those packers, they're a goofy bunch! No, this time we did all the packing ourselves and because there was so much shit to pack, the majority of the work was mine. Oh, and in case we haven't meant, I'd like to introduce you to my control freak tendencies via how to prepare to move your shit:

The new house gets mapped. Each room in the new house is assigned a code initial or initials: K=Kitchen
MB=Master
Bedroom
B=Basement
etc.

Each initial is color coded (brightly colored index cards in all the colors of the rainbow worked well for this.)


The items in each room are boxed up and labeled with their correct color and code.

Before the movers arrive at the new house a large piece of paper is taped to the doorway of each room (my husband said the giant letter G attached to the entrance of the Garage was a little over the top as he was sure the movers knew which room was the garage.) The map of the house is also posted where the movers can plainly see it.


This method worked perfectly. Everything was in its place. I just wished I'd labeled what was IN the boxes a little better because that 1/2 hour we spent trying to find the dog leash when she really needed to go out, was the only emotional breakdown I had throughout the entire moving experience.


So why the dreams about moving? I know I've kvetched about the roach thing and the woodpecker thing but seriously??? I haven't considered moving as a result... Not really... And in this housing market? No Way!


So last night I dreamed I was getting rid of furniture. I had a woman interested in buying a couch I used to own years ago... Damn, it was an ugly couch! And this woman really wanted my old ugly couch. She was telling me that it would exactly match the wallpaper in her home but she was worried about how much I was asking for the couch and if she could afford it. I felt SO sorry for this woman and her obvious lack of taste that I just told her the couch was free... "Yes, FREE... Please go ahead, you love it, it'll match your home, it's yours!"
And then I spent another 10 minutes telling her how to clean it up (Upholstery cleaner, a scrub brush, set it out in the sun to bleach it back to its original gleaming white....) Poor lady.

So I ask you, what the hell is that all about?

I consulted the online Dream Dictionary and here's their interpretation, which I think is a bit to simplified and I'm doubtful has anything to do with why I'm dreaming about this stuff:
Moving
To dream that you are moving away, signifies your desire or need for change. It may also mean an end to a situation or relationship; you are moving on. Alternatively, it indicates your determination and issues regarding dependence/independence.


Selling
To dream that you are selling something, indicates that you are undergoing changes in your waking life. You may be experiencing difficulties in letting go or parting with something.�Learn to compromise. Alternatively, the dream may be a pun that you are "selling" yourself short.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

I'm going to have to demand that you post all future comments as "Master Bedroom" instead of Embee.

Thank you.

9:42 AM, June 09, 2009  
Blogger Katy said...

OMG when we move will you come and organize us? That is so ocd compared to my own crazy no plan or organization but I bet it makes moving a hell of a lot less stressful! ;-) Husband's brother and his family just moved - what a lot of work!

We've been in this house eleven + years and I'm not moving again until it's into a 1 bedroom condo so none of the kids can move back in with us. :-)

So are you thinking of selling a kid? Husband? Gonna run away to Jamaica and live on the beach? Those dreams are wild!

12:21 PM, June 09, 2009  
Blogger Christy said...

Hmmm...so what do you need to change in your life? Very interesting...

Moving sucks! It's a lot of work & I hope I won't be experiencing it EVER again--in dreams or otherwise!

12:22 PM, June 09, 2009  
Blogger EmBee said...

Jon, Sounds good, and for that you can call me 'Master B' or 'Blogger formerly known as Embee.'

Katy, Plain & Simple... Moving IS A BITCH! And yes, somewhere in the deep, dark recesses of my brain, I must be planning an escape.

Christy, If the dream dictionary is indeed true I'm guessing it has something to do with visiting that bothersome question of 'What do I wanna be when I grow up?'

1:11 PM, June 09, 2009  
Blogger kiddiesandkitties said...

I don't know, could be right on. The kids are growing up fast, getting very independent, helping around the house WITHOUT being asked, killing cockroaches, you know, "moving on" with their lives. Doesn't make you just a little anxious?
I didn't know this week was clean up week by the way, someone should explain these things, lol.

8:49 PM, June 10, 2009  
Blogger EmBee said...

Hmmmmm K&K, you might have a point... And yes, I think you could call it anxiousness. As for clean-up week... What? your kids didn't tell you? Hmmmm, that's strange? For future reference, if you're interested, clean-up week is the week following the last day of school every year and it's a completely volunteer effort unless a kid has sentences they need to work off.
:-)

9:23 AM, June 11, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home