Thursday, June 04, 2009

Brrrrrrr!


Does it feel somehow... Colder to you folks?
I'd swear I feel a chill in the air.
Because I'm quite sure hell froze over.

Remember at the end of last school year when I posted this open letter to my kids?
Well the note seemed to work and the summer went pretty well actually.
As with any 'challenge or change' that takes place, situations tend to ebb and flow. Sometimes the trash gets taken out without asking and sometimes attitude and surliness reigns.

Today though... Today I'm just shaking my head... Shaking my head AND smiling.
'Computer Boy'... Yeah, that kid I gave birth to who was mostly terrified of anything dirty... The kid that in pre-school when asked to finger paint, would come home with a large piece of paper with a happy face drawn on with pencil. The kid who on 'paint with pudding day' completed a work of art which consisted of 5 small finger-tip dots. Which was the best his teacher could get him to commit to. The same boy who, to this very day, goes through more anti-bacterial hand sanitizer than the entire nursing staff at the local hospital.... Anyway, that boy woke at 6:30am this morning to assist in planting seedlings at the CSA (Community Sponsored Agriculture) site, a group of friends from his school are starting. My husband and I were shocked when he came home last week wet and dirty after planting for hours in the rain. When 'Nature Girl' said she didn't know what the big deal was I looked at her, mouth agape and said, "Big deal? Why that would be like you rolling around in raw chicken!" (she has a terrible squeamishness for raw meat or half eaten food left on a plate... I highly doubt she'll ever make it as a waitress... But then there's this thing with the son, so who knows?)

So if the whole 'Boy waking up at dawn' thing didn't knock the earth of its axis a little... As I was doing my hair and make-up this morning, I heard the clattering of dishes in the kitchen downstairs. Yes, 'Nature Girl' was down there, completely of her own volition, emptying the dishwasher and loading it with the breakfast dishes in the sink??????

It's colder right?

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

It sure as hell is!! We got a letter from the IRS the other day saying they corrected our taxes and they OWE US $300!!! I about had a heart attack...then I called Jimmy and asked if it was snowing where he was...the storm must be moving NORTH!! :) Enjoy it while you can!! We are doing a type of CSA an we love it! That is awesome that they are starting one!

2:12 PM, June 04, 2009  
Blogger Katy said...

You are an angel - thank you for giving me hope for the future!!!

2:29 PM, June 04, 2009  
Blogger kiddiesandkitties said...

I so love your writing! I hope to someday get the little master to find his own shoes, lol.

5:08 PM, June 04, 2009  
Blogger lime said...

can you please send them to my house to infect my children with whatever is afflicting them?

7:01 AM, June 05, 2009  
Blogger EmBee said...

Quick Carrie, look out your window... I think I just saw a pig fly by!

Awwww Katy, Us Mom's gotta stick together!

K&K, LOL! Give it time... Remember 'Computer Boy' has been at the school for 9 yrs! Um, yeah... Give it time.

Lime, it's not the swine flu... I assure you.
:-)

8:55 PM, June 05, 2009  
Blogger Chris said...

Funny....it actually IS colder here.

7:50 AM, June 07, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home