Monday, July 20, 2009

Life Lesson at the Tip of My Finger...

Yesterday I spent a glorious afternoon propped between two lawn chairs on my deck, reading a book. The weather was absolutely fabulous, a cool breeze, a glass of iced tea and a blank 'To Do' list.

Whilst I lounged there reading away, I was interrupted by the tug of skin at my fingertip... "Damn, a hangnail!" I pulled at it a bit until it felt uncomfortable. I thought to myself, "You know, you should run upstairs and grab a pair of clippers to take care of this." I argued back with myself, "But I'm so comfortable sitting here, *whiny voice* I don't waaaant to get up." Back and forth, back and forth, this little argument played out in my mind until I finally made the decision to pull at the hangnail until it opened a sizeable painful opening on the side of my finger.

Had I taken the 2 or 3 minutes to run upstairs and clip off the offending tag of skin, I wouldn't be left feeling the nearly constant annoying burn, of the open cut on the side my index finger on my right hand... That would be the same hand I use for just about EVERYTHING I do.

2 or 3 minutes of physical effort were saved but I'm paying for it with a day or two of pain.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger kiddiesandkitties said...

It was an absolutely glorious day, wasn't it? I too have been too comfortable to do what I know is best. My advice would have suggested that you simply ask one of the kids to get it for you, but if your kids are like mine, it would have taken much longer and been more frustrating to explain to them what I wanted and exactly where to find it, that the moment would have been lost. Here's to more fabulously gorgeous days in the future!

6:28 PM, July 20, 2009  
Blogger Chris said...

I have to call you on something....your "to do" list wasn't blank, we know you just turned it over face down. :) ;) :)

5:46 PM, July 21, 2009  
Blogger EmBee said...

Hi K&K, Hasn't this just been the BEST summer ever... I am LOVING these mild temps. And yes, you hit the reason right on the nose for not having asked one of the kids to fetch the clippers.
:-)

Chris, Oh man, you caught me!

9:01 AM, July 22, 2009  
Blogger lime said...

funny the things we can apply to broader parts of life, eh?

1:12 PM, July 25, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home