Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Passenger Seat Hell

*If you eventually read this son, I'm sorry. I just couldn't hold the angst in any longer so I'm putting out to the universe.

He's completed the 'Instruction' part of the Driver's Training School. Now he's on to the actual 'Driver's Training' and that's all well and good, as long as I don't have to play the role of 'Instructor.'
I know he wants to practice... I know he needs to practice... It's just the Practicing that's got me all tied up in knots.

It's become obvious that I just don't have what it takes to sit silently and let the learning take it's course. I'm a control freak... Doesn't he know that... A Control FREAK! So when he stops a half-mile short of the stop sign, I want to say, "Why are you stopping
HERE, a half-mile from the stop sign?" And when he turns a corner while shuffling his hands along the steering wheel, I want to say, "Haven't you EVER paid attention to how Dad and I steer when we drive?"... Or when he creeps down the road with a line of cars stacked up behind him... Or when he took that turn too fast... Or that other turn too slow?... Or when he made that turn yesterday going the wrong way on the divided street and then yelled at me because I told him to go left without pointing out the street was in fact divided, even though this surely wasn't the first time he'd been on that street, how was I to know it was the first time he'd actually been paying attention?

I try to relax and not pay too much attention, even sit back and close my eyes, you know? I mean, I doubt he's at the point where he's going to hit anyone, but he's definitely at the point where he's most certainly annoying 99% of the other drivers on the road. But he's gotta learn, right? He's gotta learn. And I have to just stick a pin in it, in order to keep myself from going off... But DAMN, it's not easy for a Control Freak like me.

*Shaking head* Nope, it sure aint easy, for a Control Freak like me.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

oh man, i hear you. i feel your pain all too well.

3:43 PM, June 30, 2009  
Blogger Katy said...

I can hardly stand to be the passenger in ANY car, let alone with a new driver. I do 99% of the driving when husband and I go anywhere and the thought of letting the kids drive - TEACHING them to drive - makes me break out in a cold sweat.

So let us know how you get through it, ok? Good luck!

6:09 PM, June 30, 2009  
Anonymous LindaHH said...

You don't have to be a control freak to be terrified sitting in the passenger seat while your teenager is driving. It's scary, but it's even scarier to send them out in the car without you and spend the whole time worrying about what you forgot to teach them. Take a deep breath, cross your fingers and pray to the deity of your choice. Then try not to grab the dashboard and scream.

5:40 PM, July 01, 2009  
Blogger Chris said...

Try drinking heavily before going on practice drives. Oh? That didn't help? ;)

8:45 PM, July 02, 2009  
Blogger misticblu said...

HI! I arrive via Lime.
Great story but how did you get in my head????
My son turned 15 in April and even though (scratch that, BECAUSE) he has been riding something since age 6 he thinks he is the bomb. Fine control but understands NO road rules. Not quite sure how he passed the test.
:)

5:39 AM, July 07, 2009  
Blogger EmBee said...

Lime, perhaps we should start a support group? We could call it:
M O N D O G
Mother's - Of - New - Drivers - Oh - God

Katy, that's me to a 'Tee'... I do most of the driving also... Nice to meet a fellow control freak... And hey, want to join our club?

Linda, Scarier sending them out on their own? I don't think so... I prefer NOT to see what might happen.

Chris, then we'd BOTH suffer from impaired judgment... Not a good idea.

Mistic, Thanks for stopping by, and I'm guessing you'd also like to join the club?
:-)

5:11 PM, July 07, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home