Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Same Basic Ingredients




Last night as my husband and I made our way around the 'Walking Park' (6 miles yesterday, yeah me!) we talked about 'Life'... Not in the 'how's life?' sense but in the deep extissential sense... Extissential? I don't even know how to spell that?

Anywho, my husband came up with the analogy of pancakes vs. souffle. He stated that one could use the same basic ingredients and end up with either a pancake or a souffle depending on how they're cooked. Well, I looked up both recipes this morning and found that each have differing ingredients so I'm going to change his analogy to pancakes vs. biscuits. I understand the point my husband was trying to make. A lot of people are given the same ingredients to start with and some become something stunning like a souffle or more accurately a biscuit. Others are kind of lacklustre and manage just the minimum of expectations. Is it the heat? Is it the subtle tweaking of ingredients?... And why do my husbands analogies have to center around food?


In order to explain this odd conversation one must understand that my husband is 51 years old. I'm not 51 (not even close!) so I can't quite relate to this angst about life in general, that he keeps eluding to. But, after almost 27 years as a programmer in the aerospace industry, I think he's beginning to wonder if that's all there is to define him.

My husband speaks with great admiration of acquaintances who take risks (leave their family and homeland to better themselves in a new country), live life by the seat of their pants (risk financial ruin to live a dream) or go on amazing adventures (sail for 2 weeks up the northeast seaboard.) I suppose he considers these men to be the 'Biscuits' of life. But I think my husband has forgotten the risks he's taken. Leaving his family and all he knew in Virginia to start a promising job in California took a lot of bravery. Having to deal with my insane family, in order for us to be together, proved he was a man of honor and dignity. And in my book, ANY man who willingly takes on the role of being a father and proves himself worthy of the title by having teenagers who love and respect him is a real hero.


You know, I've never really cared for biscuits... I DO like pancakes! But regardless, they're just food items... There's nothing all that extissential about food... But that man I married, he's pretty damn WONDERFUL and I hope he's capable of pushing that angst aside and see it for himself.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Christy said...

Awww...very nice! I'm with you--I'll take the pancakes!

6:26 PM, August 27, 2009  
Blogger Chris said...

You just wrote a fantastic post. Nailed it. I hope a lot of fathers read that.

9:37 PM, August 27, 2009  
Blogger EmBee said...

Hi Christy, I've missed you and yes, Pancakes indeed!

Hey Chris, Thanks so much, maybe I should get my husband to read it then?

10:26 AM, August 28, 2009  
Blogger lime said...

i'm sorry i am so late in gettin garound. the computer issues i am having have made things interesting. this post, well i am dabbing my eyes. even if i hadn't had the privilege of meeting yoru entire family i'd be touched by it. having had the opportunity to see the lovely way you all interact with each other just gives your words all the more depth. may i just say you and your husband have made something very lovely with the ingredients at hand.

oh and that tupperware anology....yeah, i'm with you. can't even fit in my fat clothes anymore...sigh.

6:48 PM, August 28, 2009  
Blogger EmBee said...

Aw, Lime... You're a doll! Thank you for the sweet comment.
And hey, Care to take on the low carb diet with me... You know, misery loves company.
<:-(

7:44 PM, August 28, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home