Tuesday, June 20, 2006

My Taste-Buds All Grown Up...

I came to the realization yesterday that I've finally aquired a taste for 'Healthy Food'.

Maybe it's a result of the diagnosis of diabetes last year but I'm really starting to enjoy, even crave foods I would've stuck my nose up at in the past. Namely, 'Spinach Salad'... I made myself one for lunch yesterday and frankly, all I can think about is what will I combine with my 'Spinach Salad' today? I should explain that I've ALWAYS been a die-hard 'Ice-Burg Lettuce' fan and even that didn't fully satisfy me. Salad was always something that went ALONG with a meal... But NOW, Ooohh give me Spinach!

This is the recipe for my delicious spinach salad:
1/2 bag of fresh baby spinach leaves - (I've learned not to sniff them because they don't really smell very good. - Don't ask what would make me want to sniff salad leaves.)
1/4 cup of diced red onion - (Another thing I'm not terribly fond of but once you mix it in with the rest of the salad it adds to the overall flavor.)
1 or 2 Tablespoons of (get this!) Goat Cheese - (ME, actually LIKE 'Goat Cheese' when did that happen? This is another item you don't really want to sniff... And I'm not really sure yet how to tell if it's gone bad or not... But once again, it adds that kick of flavor to the salad. Go easy on it though... It's strong stuff!)
A Handfull of Red Seedless Grapes (the sweeter, the better!)
A Generous splash of 'Wishbone Raspberry Hazelnut Vinaigrette Dressing' (This is the secret ingredient that makes all the other flavors harmonize with eachother.)
1 Warm Breaded Chicken Filet - (Better known as a Chicken Finger - They sell them in the deli section at our grocery store... My son got some for lunch and couldn't eat them all so I snatched one for my salad and MAN, was that ever the crowning glory!... Also NOT the healthiest part of the salad... Hey, old habits die hard.)

So there you have it! Heaven in a salad bowl... While indulging in this wonderful taste treat the rest of the family looks at me like I've lost my mind... But that's just because their tastes buds haven't grown up yet!

2 Comments:

Blogger (M)ary said...

Woman, you are making me hungry!

You are so right, once you have spinach or a dark leaf salad it is hard to go back to Iceberg!

Grapes. I will have to try that in a salad.

6:49 PM, June 20, 2006  
Blogger EmBee said...

Though I said my taste buds had grown up they still long for something sweet and that's what the grapes contribution is to the salad... Let me know how you like it! :)

9:40 PM, June 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home